Shop in subfolder a bad SEO idea?

mlarino

I am about to launch a new store that has been designed in a subfolder of the domain. Www.xxx.com/shop

We are planning of using the .httacces to redirect to the folder /shop when people visit www.xxx.com

Is this a bad idea for SEO?

Thanks!

Thanks Elpatron,

There is a lot of custom import tools, that are already configured to use /shop that is why I am asking...

It would take us a lot of time to change it, that's why I was wondering if leaving it in the subfolder would affect SEO

I will see if I can make the change without a lot of trouble

Thanks again

Why 302?

In this article they mention that 301 should be used, because it's permanent.

302 would be if it was temporary

http://seo-hacker.co...ect-affect-seo/

never use a 301 unless you are in fact forwarding one url permanently to another.

Thanks Elpatron,

There is a lot of custom import tools, that are already configured to use /shop that is why I am asking...

It would take us a lot of time to change it, that's why I was wondering if leaving it in the subfolder would affect SEO

I will see if I can make the change without a lot of trouble

Thanks again

301 should only be used when you are in fact redirecting an old url to a new one, there is plenty of information in google about how they interpret perm/temp and when and when not to use them. I'd rather use a 302, because I can never say that it will be permanent.

one can not account for moving a site whose code is not ps compliant...if there are hard coded links or non-compliant ps links...it will probably come back to bite you in the future...

make sure if you are going to have .htaccess mods, that you use the back office .htaccess generator, there you can paste additional code...else whenever you auto-generate your .htacess, you will lose your change. (i.e. as it concerns your 30x redirect).

Why make it so hard? Usually u can set up domain root in your hosting controll panel.

So instead of www.xxx.com | www.xxx.com/shop will be your root direction for your domain. So if someone access your domain it will look like www.xxx.com

I heard many slashes in the url are bad, but i don't know if it is real :)

I don't want to redirect, I just want my shop to be domain.com not domain.com/shop how do I change this? I went into phpadmin sql config domain and SSL but they are both only domainname.com and not domainname.com/shop...There doesn't seem to be clear instruction above (I'm a beginner), I don't want to mess anything up thanks