How to configure SMTP authentication?

Hello Prestashop comunity.

I'm using Prestashop 1.4.6.2 and I'm experiencing a very hard time trying to configure the SMTP authentication.

When I use simple the phpmail function, it works fine, I can send email tests with no problem. The problem with this, is that some email servers block the messages sent with this method. Hotmail for example, sends those messages to the SPAM folder. This cannot happen, since the costumers have to receive the order status messages.

So, I've tried to configure the SMTP settings with all combinations possible. SSL, TLS, with password, without password, port 465, 587, 25, with email server with the same domain as the website, with an external server, even with gmail. I know the settings are correct, because all my emails are working in Thinderbird. Everytime I get this error:

Error: please check your configuration

The SMTP connection failed to start [ssl://smtp.luisbotao.com:465]: fsockopen returned Error Number 110 and Error String 'Connection timed out'

I've searched a lot on google, but all the suggestions I encounter don't work. This looks like an error from Swiftmail, but I've been using Swiftmail for a while in the websites I create, and never had problems, always with the same web server supplier.

I also have another problem. Even using the phpmail function, when I try to send a message from the Contacts page form, It says that the message was correctly sent, but I don't receive any notification by email. I also don't know where to check those messages in the backoffice.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

lbotao

Ok, finally I discovered what works for me.

Hope it helps others stucked with this:

Mail domain name: just leave it blank

SMTP server: smtp.*********.com

SMTP user: full email address

SMTP password: fill in with your email password

Encryption: none

Port: 25

Ok, now I can rest. Still haven't discovered how to receive notifications when a user fills in the contact form.

• Like 2

I just realized that if the language is set to english, I receive a notification when the contact form is filled. It just doesn´t send when set to portuguese, and I've translated all the templates. Should be something in the backoffice?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, finally I discovered what works for me.

Hope it helps others stucked with this:

Mail domain name: just leave it blank

SMTP server: smtp.*********.com

SMTP user: full email address

SMTP password: fill in with your email password

Encryption: none

Port: 25

Ok, now I can rest. Still haven't discovered how to receive notifications when a user fills in the contact form.

Tnx alot for sharing , it work for me :)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This may help some of you searching for a solution to this although it's worth noting there could be other reasons why your SMTP server is incorrectly configured.

In my case I discovered that I had configured a store email address that was different from the one I was trying to configure in email setting.

Ensure that your Shop Email in Preferences > Store Contact  matches that which you are configuring in Advanced Parameters > E-mail