Shipping Problem: "by weight" not working or how to offer flat rates...

gdinari

Hi all,

I the shop that I developed, there are some products that are really light in weight and the standard shipping option available seems to charge to much for products with small weights.

For example,

A pair of earrings, which are considerably light in weight will having a shipping cost of no less than $8.64. This is using the paid fedex shippinh by presto-changeo.

Now, for a product costing only $2 - $6, it doesn't make economical sense, from a shopper's point of view, to buy this product if the shipping costs more than the actual product.

So the idea for the product-cost-to-shipping-cost problem is to offer USPS flat rate shipping and just manually create the shipping options and based them by weight so that they would be applied for products weight (and total product weights) within the range set for that manual USPS module. But for some reason, this new manual shipping carrier is applied to all products no matter what the total weight of the cart is.

Currently, I have a fedex module installed, which works fine but the rates may be too expensive for shoppers. So in order to make it more convenient I decided to use the default USPS module that comes with prestashop. Problem with that is that the hosting account the shop is on doesn't easily support "basic authentication," which the module needs to calculate rates with the usps shipping api...

New shipping carrier settings...

- USPS test carrier

- Behavior, by weight

- Set the correct zone

- Weight range is 0LBS - 0.3LBS

- Set fee is $5.35

Now...I would think that ONLY products (or group of product) totals within the cart with a total weight between 0LBS - 0.3LBS would have the this carrier as a shipping option and for any total weight THAT EXCEEDS this range, this option wouldn't be available...but it is. Maybe Im missing something.

I already bought a shipping module and thought all of my shipping problems where over but apparently not.

PLEASE, help me find a fix for this problem or even a functioning solution for this problem. I just want to offer shoppers a flat rate shipping based on a products weight (or even based on the products category). Im out of options, please help.

All the best.