How to change product IDs in the import process?

Hi folks

This never was a problem in the past but now it's giving me a lot of headache.

Here it is:

When importing products, I use my own numbers in the ID column and I use the same numbers in my refference number column.

But once they are imported PRESTA assigns a totally different ID number >> a consecutive number...

I wouldn't really mind this but when I try to import the attributes witch use my ID numbers the attributes aren't assigned to any products, since my IDs dont match those created by presta in the importining process.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks and a have a nice day!

• Like 1

There are a few way to approach this, the one to go with would depend on your programming level.

The non-technical solution would be to edit your attributes import file and change the IDs

If you know PHP / PS you could modify the import script to use the IDs from your file rather than create new ones, or keep those new IDs, and change the attribute import to do a lookup by reference rather than product ID (to get the new ID).

Hmm thanks

but I am not very good at PHP.

I would really love to just change my attribute import file's IDs but alltogether its like 30 000+ combinations and I divided them into multiple files so the import script wouldn't have to handle so much data at once. I dont see this happening.

Is this really not a big issue for anyone? Nobody had problems with import like I do? It's hard to believe as this seems pretty essential for everyone's eshop.

Yeah thanks anyway

Still, I dont get it. Why is there a column for product's ID in the import csv when in the process presta ignores it completely and generates itself a new one?! Whats the purpose of this? It's even a reqiured field

SOLVED:

as it turns out presta was using it's own ID because mine had letters in them.. sorry I just assumed that I can use it ID's we had in magento and our stock software.. thanks anyway and have a nicer day than me ;)

• 4 years later...