Selling Themes

Hi,

It strikes me as a little condesending when people can argue the point of Prestashop not having this or that and throw in the occasional grumble yet the program is absolutly FREE!!

Then you get the other users who see a market and expoit it. You can all download your extensive prestashop for free, then use it to SELL the themes to everyone else without even considering that the whole ethos of Prestashop was a free site.

surely, these lead by example!

prestashop seemingly work very hard to provide this shop at no cost and in doing so, have to create everything to make it look right along with any graphics that might be used and all of this is done at no cost. Yet users can effectively change a few colours in the settings and cast it off as a new theme and sell it! surely, that is intellectual theft!

now im not a grouch by any means but i can clearly identify the hard work put into this project and find it slightly offensive that people can rip this off as their own work.

I surely think that as this whole project is free and everyone who uses it graciously accepts this, then surely the least they could do is give back in return to assist the program. Afterall, you wouldnt be so will to use it if was going to cost you money would you?????

nigel

The concept of selling modifications, themes, extensions, and templates for public licensed software is hardly a new concept. However, you certainly have the option of designing your own themes/templates if none of the many FREE options are to your liking. The fact is that there are many people/companys in the world who desire a professional yet unique look to their own web presence however, do not have the skill, time, or inclination to do it themselves. Having the ability to pay someone a nominal fee to vault the many hours of design tryall and error is a godsend for many.

What is your time worth? Let's assume you are "cheap" and say $20.00 per hour. Now multiply that by at least 20 hours for a nominal design change. That is $400.00.

And you are begrudging someone for charging $5, $10, $35, or even $300 for their hard work?

Please...

Hi,

i am not begrudging anyone anything. i certainly agree with time and money. Time & money was spent on the creation of the shop im sure and many people have gladly taken it without thought. my point merely was that this time & money spent has been freely taken and idle modifications made that are suddenly worth something.

i build Databases and am involved with a forum group. We all work for a living and create & sell our work and rightly so however, any modifications made through the forums for whatever is available is non chargeable as its not original.

look at it a car manufacturer. they decide to give everyone a brand new car. is it fair that a small time dealer down the road takes one of these cars, changed the seat covers and then sells it?

look, im not wanting to make a big thing here, just wanted to put a point of view across after all, that is whet this place is for, right?

Nigel

Well.

It is free. and yes they have and do work hard to give us this for free. But if someone other that Presta shop team uses time to change/make new themes or whatever, and choses to take a fee/sell it. Isn't it up to people to decide if they want to pay or not?

• 2 years later...

Nigel.

I'm guessing you've never developed a PrestaShop theme?

I can assure you it takes far more than just 'Changing the seat covers'.

I can sort of see your point in situations where only a few slight modifications to the default theme are presented as a paid for theme, but when you start developing 'premium' themes, heavily modifying the CSS of the theme and possibly overriding core modules it's more like taking your example car, tuning the engine, fitting upgraded parts and giving it a custom paint job.

Most premium themes represent fantastic value for money in terms of man hours, especially if the buyer is using the theme for a commercial project.

The concept of selling modifications, themes, extensions, and templates for public licensed software is hardly a new concept. However, you certainly have the option of designing your own themes/templates if none of the many FREE options are to your liking. The fact is that there are many people/companys in the world who desire a professional yet unique look to their own web presence however, do not have the skill, time, or inclination to do it themselves. Having the ability to pay someone a nominal fee to vault the many hours of design tryall and error is a godsend for many.<br/><br/>What is your time worth? Let's assume you are "cheap" and say $20.00 per hour. Now multiply that by at least 20 hours for a nominal design change. That is $400.00.<br/><br/>And you are begrudging someone for charging $5, $10, $35, or even $300 for their hard work?<br/><br/>Please...

I was going to respond but I don't think I can say it any better than this. Very well put!

Marty Shue