[SOLVED] CSS quirk mode

Hi forum, my site looks beautiful in all browsers but explorer where now I am getting a problem with an error window displaying: THIS DOCUMENT RENDERS IN QUIRKS MODE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR DOCTYPE.

My site is located at http://virtualitycr.com/tienda if anyone could take a look at it and perhaps find a solutions together :D

Anyhow, best vibes and God Bless.

reagrds,

AJ

So this is odd, if I view my source code on mozilla, everything looks normal and my site seems to run on stadard mode:

mozilla.gif

But when I view the source code on explorer I see a blank space before the "<!DOCTYPE" which is obviously triggering the quirks mode.

explorer.gif

I in fact, noticed that blank space on the header.tpl file and corrected it but it keep showing up on explorer, anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...

I was asked how did I solved this issue? Something I don't even want to remember as that consumed a lot of my neurons. I spent countless hours working on a solution and at the end I had to re-install a new copy of Prestashop. In my case I was just starting to work on my site so I kind of lost some hours but ended up from scratch like if nothing happened.

Now, what caused that issue so I didn't end up on a loop with that given problem?

Everytime I modified core files I was encoding with UTF-8 with BOM (Byte order mark), hence I ended up with that character at the begining which resulted on Quirk Mode.

The solution?

- Download NOTEPAD ++

- Everytime you edit a core file, open it up with this editor and before saving, click on "Encoding" (top menu) and MAKE SURE the option ENCODE IN UTF-8 WITHOUT BOM is selected, this way you will avoid the BOM/QUIRK issue.

If you encounter the quirk issue and you remember which files you modified last, you could try to open them up with Notepad++, select the NO BOM option and re-save and upload them back to the server. This could avoid you having to re-install prestashop, otherwise start with a fresh copy and always make sure you encode WITHOUT BOM.

I was asked how did I solved this issue? Something I don't even want to remember as that consumed a lot of my neurons. I spent countless hours working on a solution and at the end I had to re-install a new copy of Prestashop. In my case I was just starting to work on my site so I kind of lost some hours but ended up from scratch like if nothing happened.

Now, what caused that issue so I didn't end up on a loop with that given problem?

Everytime I modified core files I was encoding with UTF-8 with BOM (Byte order mark), hence I ended up with that character at the begining which resulted on Quirk Mode.

The solution?

- Download NOTEPAD ++

- Everytime you edit a core file, open it up with this editor and before saving, click on "Encoding" (top menu) and MAKE SURE the option ENCODE IN UTF-8 WITHOUT BOM is selected, this way you will avoid the BOM/QUIRK issue.

If you encounter the quirk issue and you remember which files you modified last, you could try to open them up with Notepad++, select the NO BOM option and re-save and upload them back to the server. This could avoid you having to re-install prestashop, otherwise start with a fresh copy and always make sure you encode WITHOUT BOM.

Thanks so much for adding more info to this. I was faced with this exact problem all day and was able to get it sorted. My problem was caused exactly the way as listed above, and after ALOT of research it seems many have similar problems and probably do not even realize that this is whats causing it.

cheers