Multishop Languages and currencies

After going through the beta version of PS 1.5.0.3 i have some questions regarding multishops with different languages and currencies.

For me the ideal multishop situation in a shoping cart would be:

en.shopname.com with language A and currency 1

es.shopname.com with language B and currency 2

fr.shopname.com with language C and currency 3

and so on. with all shops managed from one single backoffice.

Is this possible at this point? or will be in the release version?

From what i picked up at this point its possible to have multishop with multilanguage but using the url www.shopname.com/en/ what brings serious disadvantages for the SEO, as we cannot assign different subdomains to different locations.

On another somehow related note, the 1.4 version needed some hacks to be able to automaticly change currency when the costumer changed the language and on 1.5.0.3 we still need to hack the tools.php in order to do that.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, i tryed to set up a shop in multishop using the uri feature, assigned a default language other than the main one but when i try to assign a currency different from the default one it will always needs the costumer to change the currency by hand in order to meet his needs.

Hi there, although this topic might also fit in the SEO forum I disagree with your first statement. I think the www.shopname.com/en url scheme is the best but depending on what you want to do I would consider to use the country code and not the language in the url eg. www.shopname.com/uk www.shopname.com/us ... Than you can traget your site to differtent countries via webmaster tools and you can select the appropriate currency etc.pp. for your website as well.

Although I am not 100% sure I think google treats subdomains as different domains so one advantage of my approach is that

you can concentrate on pushing the main domain to get link juice and trust and every shop site will benefit from that.

I recommend reading this article from the horses mouth http://googlewebmast...l-websites.html

I would vote for different suffix for corresponding country: www.shopname.es www.shopname.pl www.shopname.de etc

From my experience customers feel more like the shop is local for their country. Howvere the shop may be same behind all domains. When a customer is entering using .es the shops language would be automatically set to Spanish and Currency to EUR etc. Is this possible?

I would vote for different suffix for corresponding country: www.shopname.es www.shopname.pl www.shopname.de etc

From my experience customers feel more like the shop is local for their country. Howvere the shop may be same behind all domains. When a customer is entering using .es the shops language would be automatically set to Spanish and Currency to EUR etc. Is this possible?

It's possible, you can buy this module: http://www.prestatoolbox.com/multi-store-prestashop/111-one-language-by-domain-name.html

Hi Paul,

as far as I tested it is no problem to do what you want. So far I am quite impressed by the multi shop feature. Only draw back might be the stock management which is great from the approach but I do not like the interface. I hope this will be improved. I thought about setting up different country specific TLD's to but as far as I investigated - this becomes very soon expensive and you maybe have to deal with different registrars etc.pp. but the pros and cons are already mentioned in the link I posted so everyone has to decide it on it's own. Greetz, trip

Trip thanks for that article link, I went through a few seo forums but i missed that article. I think that solves my concerns about regional optimization.

The module posted becomes obsolete for PS 1.5 as you can now assign a language to each shop as default. Unfortunately that doesn't works for currency as every secondary shop created starts showing the currency in the main shop and costumer has to change it to his own currency in the currency module.

I own a shop that has 1 language and 2 different currencies and one in 32 orders comes out with the wrong currency because the costumer somehow missed to check the sign in the price. And this tends to happen on recurring costumers that know the shop layout by heart.

It would be really great if you could assign different starting currencies for every secondary shop.

• 3 months later...

just some of my thoughts...when deploying multidomain url's, if you do not use ccTLD's, .fe .de .uk etc...your content on one or more shops will be considered duplicate content by Google and I suspect other search engines. I suggest that one use ccTLD strategy when planning their multi-shop. The url suffix should be that of the laguage not the country, Google can figure out /iso_lang_code/ as country codes do not always match language.

note the conical url is not important, i.e. domain1.fe domain2.de etc.

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I just saw how Trip was able to do this and was wondering what else needs to be configured? I would like to click on a country flag and then be sent to a different shop. I've enabled the multishop feature, but who can I change shop when changing country?

Thanks,

k

• 3 weeks later...

Module : Each domain / lang is obsolote for 1.5...

not soo sure, as if you create only multishop to have one language and currency by domain... DB with multishop is much heavier. img dir will be heavier too

It should have an option to use prestashop with multidomain only for local settings.... as products desc, prices, etc... ywill be shared by all shop

Edited by LeGastronome (see edit history)