Prestashop 1.4.5.1. Cache Problem... [solved]

Good day everyone,

I have Googled for 2 weeks and I can't find the solution.

I have the latest version of Prestashop. I have the Cache and Smarty CCC options enabled. My Shop is live and running, but I have an issue that I have replicated on other systems as well.

Any changes, be it the Logo, Look, Categories, Products, Images, Text, Anything that I change on my shop does not get reflected on the Front Office Unless a Manual Refresh is done on the Browser.

I have tested this on 3G, ADSL and using Chrome, IE and Firefox and the problem remains the same.

This is a major head ache for me.

I can't even put text on my Index Page to ask clients to Refresh, since they won't even see it?

What can I do?

Please give me some advice.

I've set the Cookie.php file to TimeOut after 30 minutes, this made no difference either.

I have disabled the Cache and enabled Force Compile and did a refresh manually, but this does not work if I open any other browser again.

I have tested this on the Default Prestashop Theme, using my Current Theme that is based on the default and the problem remains the same.

I am running on a Linux Host with Cpanel and I have a "main site" which is perfect across all browsers, refreshes when it should and Prestashop on my Subdomain.

Thank you for any advice or help,

If a mod or someone needs my URL, I will pm it to you if possible.

Kind Regards,

This problem is not resolved.

I am told to run the Shop with the Cache setting off and Force Compile on. This should apply changes across to other browsers.

It doesn't. I have just tested it for the past 30 minutes and it's exactly the same.

I can't believe this. This is the biggest headache any software has ever given me in my life!

• Like 1

When you modify your theme and want to see any changes you have made right away, it is indeed better to turn off the cache and to set Force compilation to on, but once it is done you must set cache to yes and Forced Compilation to no.

If you really do not want your browser to cache anything you can always add the code

<meta http-equiv="Cache-control" content="no-cache">

but not a good idea when you have a store with many products to load everytime ...

I still can't believe the workarounds suggested.

I use Concrete5 CMS to create Websites and it's got a Simple Option to set Cache Lifetime at 60 minutes.

I can't believe no one has ever complained about this and that it's not an issue?

Where must I add these Meta Tags? I'm becoming less and less patient here. I spent weeks and hours on Prestashop and I think I am getting ready to ditch it and use another Commerce product.

You would add that code to the header.tpl file where all the other meta information is.

I can't believe no one has ever complained about this and that it's not an issue?

This is probably because no one has this problem, i have never seen this issue raised by anyone, its usually fixed by forcing compile as has been suggested previously.

If you empty the folder tools/smarty/compile/ apart from index.php this will delete the cache that prestashop creates.

I would suggest submitting it as a bug at http://forge.prestashop.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and having one of the devs have a look to see what is going on.

Hi Vincent,

I currently have the Cache and Force Compile off, the CCC options are on.

ANY changes I make on the shop, whether it be the logo, text, products, categories, anything does not reflect on any browser I have tested on 3 different machines on 2 different internet connections, unless the Browser is Manually Refreshed.

I have tested this for days on end. I haven't worked on my Machine (Windows 7) since last week Thursday. When I worked on the Shop on Monday, the changes of new products and changes of my Index page did not reflect in Chrome, IE or Firefox until I manually refreshed.

I can recreate it any time that's needed.

If you need access to my Back Office, please let me know.

Open a Product First in the Shop(View the Product on the Front Office). Make the Change on Any Product and Go Back to the Product again (Front Office). You won't see any changes unless you Manually Refresh. I can't expect all of my Customers to Refresh every Page they have visited.

I too are having issues whit this in a fresh install.

I'm having major traffic to my shop since last week when I launched it and it 's quite embarrassing that any changes I make isn't reflected. Today I added 2 new products, doesn't show until a manual refresh is done.

I've really wasted my money here on advertising, news papers, google adwords since the users are seeing outdated information most likely.

I'm having major traffic to my shop since last week when I launched it and it 's quite embarrassing that any changes I make isn't reflected. Today I added 2 new products, doesn't show until a manual refresh is done.

I've really wasted my money here on advertising, news papers, google adwords since the users are seeing outdated information most likely.

You keep talking about a manual refresh, but what exactly does that mean? Are you pressing f5 or ctrl+f5 to renew the page?

You keep talking about a manual refresh, but what exactly does that mean? Are you pressing f5 or ctrl+f5 to renew the page?

F5 and Ctrl F5 if the normal click Refresh didn't work. The refresh has to be manually initiated by me at the browser, or any other individual if they already viewed the shop.

Is there any other way to explain it?

I just wanted to make sure what you were talking bout.

So you are adding a new products, then on the front-end it is not appearing unless you f5 refresh it?

Anything I change on the Front Office doesn't get displayed unless I F5 or Ctrl + F5 refresh it. Any text, design, logo, products, new categories or category changes, pricing, information of products. Anything doesn't get displayed unless a "forced" refresh at browser level is done.

Anything I change on the Front Office doesn't get displayed unless I F5 or Ctrl + F5 refresh it. Any text, design, logo, products, new categories or category changes, pricing, information of products. Anything doesn't get displayed unless a "forced" refresh at browser level is done.

But that is normal, at least in my experience. When i make design alterations, I would always have to f5 the page to see the changes, same goes for new products etc.

Are you expecting the change to be immediate without having to refresh?

But that is normal, at least in my experience. When i make design alterations, I would always have to f5 the page to see the changes, same goes for new products etc.

Are you expecting the change to be immediate without having to refresh?

I am expecting to be able to control how "long" this Cache is resident in the browser, as I said above.

With your explanations of normal with my days of testing I have realized that the browser "never" gets flushed and gets new content from Prestashop, unless manually done.

So in essence I should add products and information for 1 view only. I can't make any changes to my shop front end and if I do I should expect that only new clients or visitors see these changes?

How could that be normal?

Even adding the no-cache meta tags above gave absolutely 0 results. My browsers still cache the content.

I expect to set the life time of the cache to a value that suits me, something like an hour, a day, a week, whatever I prefer. That's not too much to ask for I believe.

Are you using the htaccess cache controls? These are added to htaccess file on the back-office>tools>generator>optimisation option. Try turning that option off and regenerate the htaccess file.

I think you can also define the length of cache in the htaccess file also.

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>

• Like 1

Are you using the htaccess cache controls? These are added to htaccess file on the back-office>tools>generator>optimisation option. Try turning that option off and regenerate the htaccess file.

I think you can also define the length of cache in the htaccess file also.

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>

Thank you. I have unchecked the Optimisation Option and Regenerated .htaccess, I edited the .htaccess file with a lifetime of 1 hour as well.

The changes are not showing yet, but I will add something to the Shop now (I just refreshed the browser) then I will come back within an hour and open the shop again and see if the changes reflect.

Thank you.

:)

Thank you again. I have noticed the "refresh" problem is still an issue, for instance if I view products and return to the Home Page it doesn't update which products were viewed, an hour later if I return it does display though.

I can live with this, it makes my life so much easier.

I re-enabled the optimisation setting and manually added the 1 hour code on the .htaccess file again and it still seems to work ok, so I'm not complaining anymore.

Hopefully Prestashop includes a general Cache Lifetetime setting in future builds, I think it would benefit a lot of people.

Hi,

It could be a server configuration issue, because the fact that a new product is not displayed immediatly doesn't seem to be about PrestaShop.

I'm glad you see your issue solved, thank you jhnstcks.

I invite you to post on the forge (http://forge.prestashop.com) a new feature or an improvement report.

Best Regards,

Vincent

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I have to deactivate the cache options when I want to see changes in product descriptions or even in the order status in Backoffice. Sometimes when setting an order status to 'payment accepted', the invoice is missing. The same happens sometimes with the status 'delivered' - then the delivery slip isn´t immediately available.

They all appear when I deactivate the cache. The odd thing is, that it happens sometimes. What could that be?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

im also having this kind of issue.

i wonder if it is becouse of the cache or if its a cookie problem.

my problem is " logged in/ logged out user "

the logout link should be http://mydomain.com/index.php?mylogout

right?

but it seems after the user click on it, it doesnt do the logout thing.

then after "a force refresh" ( f5 or ctrl+f5 or click refresh ) on the browser. it logged out the user.

im having this problem for 3 month already. dont know what to do