WWW Folder Permissions?

Alright,

It seems I have the permission settings down with the exception of one. I believe my host screwed up by putting a chmod "756" on my .com folder. I changed it to 755 and it cleared up one or two issues.

I have since checked the WWW/ Folder and it too has a 756. What should this in fact be set at. It stands to reason that if the other folder I changed to 755 helped, that this would help s well. The issues I have is that the folder will not take a 755 chmod via FTP and I have to call it in.

Just wanted to know what I should be asking for since the hosts obviously dont' like to help too much, especially with open source that's not their own!

Update: I called my hosting provider, they have said that "You are not allowed to change this folder type".

Does this make sense? I know that this may seem like on odd question BUT I had asked someone on here for some help and the first thing
they let me know is they couldn't change the WWW folder permission and to contact my hosting provider concerning this error?

It almost sounded as if it was some sort of requirement but not sure how.

Anyway, Help would be greatly appreciated. Permissions on WWW/ Folder, is it necessary? if so, when?

Again, I know it sound dumb, whatever!, "C'est la vie"!

If you are on a shared hosting plan, no host ( serious host ) will let you change permission on this folder. If you run the shop on your own dedicated server, you can do it by yourelf and at your own risk...