1.2.5 to 1.4

Hi All,

I have a few questions about upgrading my store.

I have about 6000 orders, 5000 customers and over 300 products with many attributes.

When I export my store database via phpMyAdmin it is 130MB.

I can't afford for anything to go wronge on upgrading so I have decided to make a clone of my site and database under different names on my server and do the upgrade on that.

Is there anything that I need to know before I do the upgrade from my 1.2.5 MySQL database to 1.4?

Also, my phpMyAdmin doesnt seem to let me upload such a big file (130MB) to dump in to a database. Any thoughts? Could my hosts maybe do it their end?

I really don't want to split my database file up, as i've heard many people run in to trouble with this.

Any help or comments would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

to make a big dump of your database you can use a script like mysqldumper.

If you want to upgrade your site without problems you can use our module to do that, with a backup of your files and your database before ugrading your site.

The recommended procedure to upgrade prestashop doesn't involve upgrading your live site directly so there's no need to worry about anything going wrong and losing your data.

You would basically make a copy of your live site in a sub-folder along with a copy of your database. You verify that this 'copy' site is fully functioning and then upgrade 'it'.

Once the copy site has been upgraded and confirmed that everything functions as it should, you can replace your live site with it.

If you follow the upgrade process as documented HERE you should have no problems at all. However, if something does go wrong you still have your original live site running and have lost nothing.