When upgrading from 1.0.0.8 to 1.1....

OK on a linux hosted platform and have come across too many problems upgrading.
All the usual problems such as freezing on step 3 of the upgrade etc.
So now ive had enough.

My Question to those who know Prestashop inside out.

during the upgrade is it only running SQL commands against the database to update tables?
And if so are these the scripts found in the Install/SQL/Upgrade?

If the answer is yes to the 2 questions above then..Is it possible to just run these scripts in PHPADMIN and the upgrade is complete?

I have been running with 1.0.0.8 for over 8 months now and really do wish I do not have to move to another E-Commerce solution.
Thanks.

Well yes and no.
when running the installer the page does not move forward from the 3rd page and the status bar in the top right of the page remains active.
If you go and check your database you will find that indeed some of the tables have been updated but some are missing.
after 3 or 4 attempts most of the "New" data did get imported but the installer never "offically" completes".
In the end it was very messy so just ran a fresh install and did not import old data.

what really bugs me about this prestashop install process is that a fresh install works perfectly yet an upgrade (which is almost identical in its process) does not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I have some problems when I'm trying to upgrade.

I have created first a subdomain where I would like to make some tests.
I have created a copy of database where I would like to make tests.

On the installer flow, after I set the database connection I receive the message :
"A Prestashop database already exists, please delete it or change the prefix."

I intend to upgrade from '1.0.0.8' to 1.1.0.5

In the first page the option "update : get the latest stable version ... " it's grayed and I cannot select it.

REgards,
Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh, my "production" prestashop is installed on a subdomain ! magazin.dioda.ro

In order to test the upgrade I have created a new subdomain magtst.dioda.ro and a new test database.
Following the recommendations from other thread I had a look on error logs and I have found few of :

[Mon Mar 30 11:3...... /public_html/magtst/error.php' not found or unable to stat

[Mon Mar 30 ...PHP Notice: Use of undefined constant _COOKIE_IV_ - assumed '_COOKIE_IV_' in /home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/install/xml/doUpgrade.php on line 102, referer: http://magtst.dioda.ro/install/
[Mon Mar 30 ... PHP Notice: Use of undefined constant _COOKIE_KEY_ - assumed '_COOKIE_KEY_' in /home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/install/xml/doUpgrade.php on line 101, referer: http://magtst.dioda.ro/install/
[Mon Mar 30 ... PHP Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/config/config.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/index.php on line 3
[Mon Mar 30 ... PHP Warning: include(/home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/config/config.inc.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dandumit/public_html/magtst/index.php on line 3

It seems that in old settings.php file I had some cookies from production instance.
Also it seems that files config and error.php are missing.
I'll keep you posted.
Daniel

I have installed FireBug and in console I have found :

Notice: Use of undefined constant _COOKIE_KEY_ - assumed '_COOKIE_KEY_' in /home/dandumit
/public_html/magtst/install/xml/doUpgrade.php
on line 101

Notice: Use of undefined constant _COOKIE_IV_ - assumed '_COOKIE_IV_' in /home/dandumit/public_html
/magtst/install/xml/doUpgrade.php
on line 102

It seems that those 2 keys are important and probably they contain some user and some password encrypted .
I have solved this in following way :
I have copied settings.php from production to test. I have changed only the database name to point to test one.
I have granted to production user rights to connect to test database.
Installer have complained one single time about permissions rights on that file. I have changed permisions on settings.php to 777.
It worked well.

Regards,
Daniel
Regards,
Daniel

Even if the upgrade installation went well and I am able to see the administration part of the site ,
the home page / front end of store it is empty !

I will digg further on it ! Anyway I'm amazed by how many features includes new version !