System Configuration Javascrip fails on install

I am attempting to install prestashop on my local machine for evaluation purposes. I get to the 'System Compatibility' page, and it doesn't display green check marks (or red fails) and a message that says verify these items are true. As far as I know, they all are. I have PHP 5.3, Apache 2.2, definitely have enough ram, gd is turned on. I chmod'd everything 777 and it is owned by apache.

But when I click on the next button... nothing. I click on the refresh settings button.... and then all items disappear. I am confused as to what is failing here and why... any recommendations on what to check next?

Thanks in advance...

I tried with version 1.4.4.1 and 1.4.4.0 if that helps. I think I might try an older version.

I tired 1.4.0 and 1.3.5 and they do the same thing. Actually, on the first load, they don't even load a list of the settings.

I haven't tried to troubleshoot it yet. I am sure something is breaking behind the scenes when the ahah contacts the php script.... but I don't know what it is. Maybe it is a .htaccess issues with mod rewrite? I will try to debug this and post my results.

I really want to see this thing in action, since I really hate Magento...