Duplicate "Title tags" across products

gijomloy

I am far from being an SEO expert but I noticed that the sitemap automatically generated by Prestashop contains several URLs for the same product when the product is included in several categories. Isn't it bad to have duplicate content? Shouldn't the sitemap only include the URL which correspond to the default category of the product?

I'm no expert either [not sure if anybody really is actually] but yes, duplicate content is considered to be a bad idea, and Google Webmaster will flag such.

A lot of people use the module from Presto-changeo to fix that. And it does a great job. I use it and still get one set of duplicates. I rectify that by going into the sitemap after I have generated it and removing the offending duplicate by hand. Without the module I would probably have something in the order of 30 to 40 duplicates.

You probably know more than me already. There is this on page 187 of the Prestashop manual...

"Change the "Friendly URL" radio buttons settings if you know that your server can support URL rewriting. If not, leave it at "No". Likewise, only change the "Automatically redirect to Canonical url" radio buttons settings if you know what you are doing. Canonical URLs are excellent ways to to improve SEO, as they help avoid duplicate content on your shop (more than one URL for the same actual content)."

I have both "Friendly URL" and "Canonival URLs" activated without any apparent bug. But what does the canonical URL option do exactly? Does that only redirect mysite.com to www.mysite.com? Does it do anything with the product URL for products which are in several categories?