Upgrade From 1.2.5 To 1.4.4

Hi there,

I’ve been building a site in Prestashop for a little while now. My previous version (1.4.2.5) was having a few problems. Something seems to have gone wrong with the products, whereby the product tabs weren’t displaying any information (Prices, Combinations etc). I posted on the forums without any luck, so I decided that upgrading the site might provide a solution.

I have just gone through the process of upgrading the site. Fortunately, the site is not live yet, so I didn’t have to worry about it being down, and the client losing sales.

I followed your upgrade guide to the letter, and I’m now happy that the problems mentioned above with the products seems to have resolves itself.

I am however, having one or two other issues. The home page of my site, now displays the message “We're sorry, but the Web address you entered is no longer available”. Having said that, the site is using my existing template, and the layout seems to have been unaffected. Previously, the home page of the site showed a series of featured and sale products.

The previous site is still active at www.homestoreinteriors.co.uk. The new, upgraded site is now at www.homestoreinteriors.co.uk/prestashop. This brings me onto another question. I now have two separate installations of Prestashop (using the same database). When I have the new one working, I want to get rid of the old one. Presumably, I can just move the files to where the old files are currently residing?

It's not a good idea to have two websites pointing to the same database, especially if they are different versions of PrestaShop. Regarding the "Page not found" issue, you probably have the wrong base directory in your configuration file. Edit config/settings.inc.php and change the __PS_BASE_URI__ to match the directory PrestaShop is installed in. For example, if PrestaShop is installed in the root directory, it should be / and if it's in the prestashop directory, then it should be /prestashop/

Once everything is working on the /prestashop/ website, deleting the old files in the root directory and moving all the new ones to the root should work. Of course, you should always make a backup in case anything goes wrong.

Hi Rocky,

Thanks so much for responding. I really do appreciate it. As much as I love working with Prestashop, the lack of support is sometimes very frustrating!

I understand that having two sites pointing to the same database is not a good idea. As soon as I have the new, upgraded version working properly, I'll get rid of the old files.

However, the __PS_BASE_URI__ in my setting.inc file is correct, and reads /prestashop/ as it should. Having switched off Friendly URLs, I know seem to be able to access the category pages. Still can't load the index.php (forwards straight to the page-not-found page). And obviously, I would like to get the Friendly URLs working at some point!

Any thoughts?!

Thanks again

Try regenerating your .htaccess file, so the /prestashop/ path is added to your .htaccess file.

That doesn't seem to make any difference, still redirects to the 404 page.

Also, when I type it the old URL (without the /prestashop) that re-directs to the domain.co.uk/prestashop/en/page-not-found as well!

:(

The only other idea I have is to try changing "Automatically redirect to Canonical url" on the Preferences tab to "No". If that doesn't work, there must be something wrong with your .htaccess files. Try temporarily deleting them off your server to see whether it makes a difference. If it does, then there must be some rules that are incorrect or conflicting. Perhaps this issue will resolve itself when you move everything to the root directory, then there will only be one .htaccess file?

Well I've got a complete backup of my original installation, and the database that was being used then.

If I do try moving the new one to the root where the original one is, and it goes pear-shaped, is it simply a case of removing the files, uploading the old ones, and installing the old database to get back to the way things were?

Plucking up the courage to swap these files over...

Yes, if anything goes wrong, you can simply restore the old files and database and everything should continue to work the way it was when you made the backup. Of course, you'll lose any changes to the files and database made after the backup. That shouldn't be a problem if it isn't a live site though.

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for your continued support!

So I transferred all of the files to the root, and removed the /prestashop/ directory. Tried reloading the site, and still get the site redirecting to the 404 page.

I've set FURLs to No, and also the same for the canonical URL, regenerated the .htaccess but all still the same.

Is there anything left to try?!

Thanks