[Solved] Cant access back office 1.4.2.5

Is this an issue with pretty urls? please read:

When trying to access the back office page I am directed to the following url: mydomain.com/?pretty;board=taiwaneseaborigine;topic=admin.0 - which takes me to the front office of the site, not the back office.

I am prestashop 1.4.2.5 with a successful install using the EN – US language. The front office is accessible but the back office is not. I have renamed the admin folder and deleted the readme files. Still no success.

additional info:

- new install, new database, new prefix

- using bluehost

- This is my fourth attempt at installation

– when trying to install redirected to mydomain.com/install/install/ – had to manually type /install/index.php for the install to work.

- Previous installation (installed in french) allowed me to access the back office but not the front office – reinstalled

If this is an issue with pretty urls, how do I turn it off without access to the back office?

New install, new database. Has been installed on the same server numerous times but each time using a different database name so as to minimize any potential problems occurring.

If I get this solved soon I will have to install some other eCommerce software. Any recommendations?

Start by looking over settings.inc.php and .htaccess file. (or rename the .htaccess file)

If everything is correct, then dig into the database via phpMyAdmin or look over the database dump with a text editor focusing on the ps_configuration table.

Look for PS_SHOP_DOMAIN, PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL, __PS_BASE_URI__ and make sure other configuration values appear correct as well.

Normally, these are the essential files and database values that mess up every installation.

Created empty .htaccess file in root and admin subfolder - no changes, still unable to access back office

I see that prestashop has not created a .htaccess file for me. Also I am just a beginner prestashop user and would not know what is correct and incorrect when looking through these files. Everything appears to be correct in my eyes.

here is a copy of settings.inc.php

<?php
define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost');
define('_DB_TYPE_', 'MySQL');
define('_DB_NAME_', '[spam-filter][spam-filter]_abo');
define('_DB_USER_', '[spam-filter][spam-filter]@');
define('_DB_PASSWD_', '[spam-filter][spam-filter][spam-filter][spam-filter]');
define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'ps_');
define('_MYSQL_ENGINE_', 'InnoDB');
define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/');
define('_PS_CACHING_SYSTEM_', 'MCached');
define('_PS_CACHE_ENABLED_', '0');
define('_MEDIA_SERVER_1_', '');
define('_MEDIA_SERVER_2_', '');
define('_MEDIA_SERVER_3_', '');
define('_THEME_NAME_', 'prestashop');
define('_COOKIE_KEY_', '3s4aSXzSJT6FxhnROW25I247IBE781T74ZV0T7F7wNfkbA3MMucj50TH');
define('_RIJNDAEL_KEY_', '1j02Xj5dSFx3ha4usWbx5K6YZFkw19bh');
define('_COOKIE_IV_', '7ucp191r');
define('_RIJNDAEL_IV_', '5wK6mzRZfqFVgJERKSJkyw==');
define('_PS_CREATION_DATE_', '2011-06-11');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.4.2.5');
?>

Strange. Prestashop failed to install a .htaccess file.

I found a copy of the .htaccess file on the forums here: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/64507/general_discussion/solved_how_to_edit__dot_htaccess_file'>http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/64507/general_discussion/solved_how_to_edit__dot_htaccess_file

However, this copy is a year old. I need to be sure I am using a copy of the current default Prestashop 1.4.2.5 .htaccess file - here is a copy of the old one:

# .htaccess automaticaly generated by PrestaShop e-commerce open-source solution
# http://www.prestashop.com - http://www.prestashop.com/forums

# URL rewriting module activation
RewriteEngine on

# URL rewriting rules
RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9]+)\-([a-z0-9]+)(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.jpg$ /img/p/$1-$2$3.jpg [L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\-([0-9]+)/([_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.jpg$ /img/p/$1-$2.jpg [L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.jpg$ /img/c/$1$2.jpg [L,E]
RewriteRule ^lang-([a-z]{2})/([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ /product.php?id_product=$3&isolang;=$1$5 [L,E]
RewriteRule ^lang-([a-z]{2})/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ /product.php?id_product=$2&isolang;=$1$4 [L,E]
RewriteRule ^lang-([a-z]{2})/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ /category.php?id_category=$2&isolang;=$1 [QSA,L,E]
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ /product.php?id_product=$2$4 [L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ /product.php?id_product=$1$3 [L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ /category.php?id_category=$1 [QSA,L,E]
RewriteRule ^content/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ /cms.php?id_cms=$1 [QSA,L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)__([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ /supplier.php?id_supplier=$1$3 [QSA,L,E]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)_([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ /manufacturer.php?id_manufacturer=$1$3 [QSA,L,E]
RewriteRule ^lang-([a-z]{2})/(.*)$ /$2?isolang=$1 [QSA,L,E]

# Catch 404 errors
ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

The config setting looks correct unless you are hooking up to an old database that can cause you to get redirected.

No .htaccess file, even better because you don't have to worry about friendly URLs causing the problem.

Did you look through ps_configuration table values?

By default Prestashop does not include a .htaccess file, it can be generated in the backoffice. During the installation process, you probably skipped a critical step and enabled friendly URLs without generating the .htaccess file.