Taxes and Zones

Hi,

I am setting up presta shop for Canada only.

There are 2 taxes in Canada, 5.0% GST applied to all products. On top of that, there's a 7.0% PST applies to all products sold in our province, BC. So for example, products sold to Toronto has 5.0% GST and products sold in BC has 5.0% GST + 7.0% PST.

Wondering, whats the best way to set this up...

THANKS!

Hi sooz,

We are aware that osCommerce uses multiple, cumulative taxes (though in a confusing way).  However, when we created PrestaShop, we decided that since 90% of shop owners only need one tax applied per destination, we set PS to only calculate one tax.

I've added it to the dev team's "to-do" list for future consideration, but since it would require a major overhaul of the code dealing with taxes, it may not be developed for another few months, I'm sorry to say.

Could this be resolved in the next release when the new zones/regions tab is added?  Then sooz could create BC as a region and add the 7% PST?  Or maybe this does not work cumulatively.  Maybe sooz would have to have the 5% GST already included in prices?  Oh well, just a thought.

IMHO, these taxes are self-defeating.  If I want to buy an out-of-print used book, for example, I order from an Amazon dealer in another state, not my own state,  so I don't have to pay any sales tax.  That is what people do.  I'm sure it costs my state more to process the piddly amount of sales tax I collect than they get out the stupid tax.  As soon as I had to start charging sales tax to residents of my own state, my in-state sales dropped off dramatically.  That suits me fine, as I'd rather sell to an out-of-state customer and not have to fool with the sales tax.  Sorry for the rant.