Moving prestashop from one to another subdomain after full import of catalogue

pl.sabotinov

Hello Everybody,

I would like to discuss here a plan for upgrade my prestashop store. It is in fact no update, but entirely new store that will be built on prestashop 8 ver. After that all the information: Customers, Brands, Suppliers, Categories, Products, Combinations will be exported from the old website and imported in the new one. Which will be very complex process, but I will explain it later.

So regarding update in our case is impossible, or at least we do not want to do it, because first our website is on old version of Prestashop – the core is different , many modules will not work after update. Except that we have made really many, many additional changes, overrides. And at the end we want to make a new structure and additional functions for the carriers, that we already have, but now we will reduce and optimise them a lot. So therefore update is not in question. We start e new website and import all the stuff from the old one. (Actually this website is almost finished on a test server)

Here we have chosen already a module and have made comprehensive test which work good, and we think it will be sufficient for us.

Here the main problem that we have in mind and need some advice:

So initially we had a plan to build the new website with the same name (it is on a subdomain): www.subdomain.domain.com on a test server hidden and after that to import all the information from the live website. Here comes according to us and also according to the module for Export/import developers the main problem – image links should be taken from old site (same name) and imported to the new site (same name , but on hidden server) where image links e regeneration will be maybe in conflict and we do not know how it will work during the import. Because during the import the module uses the links of the images to regenerate them in database of the new website. But this process done in the hidden website www.subdomain.domain.com will search the image (by link) in itself (same link address) we suppose and import might not be successful. Where images are thousands so not possible to do it manually or partially.

Therefore we decided to develop the new website on another server but different subdomain name: www.othername.domain.com and after that export all info from old website and import them in the new website with different name , so thus all the import (image copy from links) should be done correctly from the live site.

After completing  that procedure we have to move our new website from othername (subdomain) to the primary (same as old) subdomain. On that hidden server (dns records will not point it for this website, still pointing the old site).

So here main question is: What is the complete procedure in Prestashop 8 to move a website from one subdomain to another(othername.domain.com to subdomain.domain.com) – Except moving the files to this subdomain, SEO/URL settings in prestashop setting new name and regenerating htaccess file – what steps are here required to make this procedure successful. Should we make here some changes in the database?

So in case we complete this procedure we will after that change the dns records for our website to point the new website server for this website name and make the old site hidden.

This is in common my idea. But I would like to ask you if there are some steps that we are missing or what we could do to fulfil this task and avoid some mistakes.

Would be very grateful for some advices and experienced members, who can help me to do complete and better plan for our upgrade.

Sorry if I am not entirely correct technically especially in the part of dns records, as I have small experience in that matter.

Thank you in advance.

Plamen

Hi @pl.sabotinov, backup your database, change in backup.sql file all hidesubdomain.domain.ext to www.domain.ext, import database to live host, copy all files to live host, change parameters.php to database live, clear cache (var/cache/*), regenerate .htaccess (seo and url in admin). If you don't have specific module that has it's own setting file with url, it should be enough.

Edited by Prestashop Addict (see edit history)

Hello and thank you for the advices.

I think understand what you suggest and agree with that. The only question that is not entirely clear to me is how to check and verify the database. I mean should I check or change manually some tables inside, or what exactly in database. Regarding SQL and changes with queries - is not a problem for me - I have made a lot, or at least enough for my needs. But would you please specify what should i check or change in the database after moving the development to the original (live) subdomain - which tables or what part.

Regards,

Il y a 20 heures, pl.sabotinov a dit :

Hello and thank you for the advices.

I think understand what you suggest and agree with that. The only question that is not entirely clear to me is how to check and verify the database. I mean should I check or change manually some tables inside, or what exactly in database. Regarding SQL and changes with queries - is not a problem for me - I have made a lot, or at least enough for my needs. But would you please specify what should i check or change in the database after moving the development to the original (live) subdomain - which tables or what part.

Regards,

Export SQL database is text a file, simply make a search and replace string with a text editor 😉