Media servers configuration

Hello, --the following text is originally posted on the french forum, I used ChatGPT to translate it and so touch more people here.
I used ChatGPT to go faster, I can read and answer in english if some wants to help :)

I've read many topics and tutorials here and there, which helped me better understand the subject of these media servers, but none really sufficed to grasp the whole thing and to actually be able to use it.

The site I took over and am working on does not perform very well according to Page Speed Insights. I've made a whole series of necessary optimizations but they were scarcely effective in improving the score. Therefore, I've come to these 3 fields for Media Servers offered by Prestashop in the Performance section.

Here is what I understood and what I've done so far: Creating multiple subdomains would improve loading speed by allowing more different resources to be loaded at the same time, specifically images, and CSS and JS files, thus enhancing performance. Thanks to what I've read so far, I've created 3 subdomains on my hosting provider (OVH), s1.sixten-environmental.com, s2.sixten-environmental.com, s3.sixten-environmental.com, all pointing towards 3 root folders (s1, s2, and s3) that I created with FTP at the same level as the /www folder. Zigzagging through forums, I understood that it was necessary to copy the img, themes, and modules folders to these 3 new folders and then I added each of these subdomains in the 3 fields of the Performance page. The performance has somewhat improved but the issue is that some images do not load, notably product thumbnails (e.g., https://s1.sixten-environmental.com/518-home_default/blabla.jpg) with these shortened URLs. My other concern is that it seems very cumbersome, or rather outright prohibitive, to have to pay attention to correctly modify each file present in these 3 folders upon every change. I might be wrong, but it feels like the choice to pick a media file from one subdomain or another is random and I cannot choose which folders to put in which subdomains.

I've also seen several tutorials or topics that don't even mention the need to copy/paste these folders into the subdomains' folders (??), I believe it was in these tutorials/topics where I saw mentioned the need to modify the .htaccess file. There might be an easier way to manage these media servers there?

What did I do wrong? What have I missed?

I would like this topic to finally be clear and precise on the steps to follow, to answer the various questions that many seem to have on this subject, and to stop the spread of gray hairs on my head and perhaps others' ^^

PS: Sorry if some think this topic has already been widely discussed or even resolved, I haven't been able to figure it out anyway.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:05 AM, Florian644 said:

Creating multiple subdomains would improve loading speed by allowing more different resources to be loaded at the same time, specifically images, and CSS and JS files, thus enhancing performance.

not necessarily for everyone.
Most shop sites suffering with slow loading speed use CDN, don't comprime their pictures and many other titbits. 

• 1 month later...