What does ps eventbus do?

CJH

I returned from a trip to find my back office unavailable (The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error".) but the website operating as normal. Long story involving several hours with the ISP, Ionos, resulted in the back office becoming available again by dropping php version from 8.1 to 8.0. No software changes in the meantime to explain this, but hey ... it worked again. A couple of modules were updated. Put the php back to 8.1. No problems with back office operation.

Only, the website stopped working. Smarty cleared, cache cleared, browser cleared, var/cache cleared out. Lots of error messages, which referenced ps-eventbus, this having been updated. Another short story: I disabled eventbus by changing the module name by ftp. Everything worked fine from then on.

The question: what does eventbus do? I think it is required for Prestashop checkout and a Facebook module, from suggestions online. I don't use these. What else might require it? Is it a problem disabling this module? I'm using Presta 8.03.