Categories Changes

EcoPets

I am not sure if this is where I should post this, but..

I have a shop with 8500 products that was import from vendors files.  Their categories are not organized how I would like them for my store.  My problem is that I do not know how to go about reorganizing them relatively quickly.

There are 37 of what I think are TOP categories, but I do not know how many sub categories there are and how they are organized under these "top" categories and I can't seem to find a way to see some sort of category tree or organization chart.

For my store I will have 6 basic categories i will use for my general customers but I do not know how to get the subcategories into my categories..

I also need to move products, in bulk if possible, from where they are now into my subcategories. 

Is there any way I can accomplish this WITHOUT hacking any files? I am pretty comfortable with phpmyadmin if that is the onlky way to do this.

ANY suggestions, other than file hacks, would be most appreciated.

Initially I need to get about 6 "base" categories that will show on the shop main page.  I need to get only a few products under those with some sub categories.  Then at some later dates in the future as the shop progresses, we will do something similar for some other sets of "base" categories for different customer bases.

Ultimately, there might be as many as 10-12 different groups like this.  So I would need to be able to build them as we go along.