Automatically set tax when creating new products?

Does anyone know a way to automatically set the tax when creating a new product in PrestaShop 8.1.1?

In Denmark, where I live, we have to pay a fixed rate of 25% VAT on everything. So, every time I create a new product, I have to remember to put the Danish 25% VAT (called "moms") for that product. That seems like an unnessecary manual step, when it should be possible to just set it automatically. Also, if I forget to add the 25% VAT, it will cost me 20% if someone buys the product.

So... does anybody know a way to make PrestaShop set it automatically when creating new products?

I found this old post: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/159623-way-to-set-default-tax-rule-on-product-in-bo-scroll-down/?do=findComment&comment=2244166

That was actually a great solution for my needs (just overriding the template and setting "selected" one the desired tax-type in the <select>), HOWEVER as I have come to learn, they have changed the structure of PrestaShop since then, and that particular template is no longer there. So its no longer possible to do it as described in that post.

Does anybody know how to do it with a similar solution (or perhaps how to make it set it in the SQL-query that creates the new product)?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, LarsM said:

Does anyone know a way to automatically set the tax when creating a new product in PrestaShop 8.1.1?

In Denmark, where I live, we have to pay a fixed rate of 25% VAT on everything. So, every time I create a new product, I have to remember to put the Danish 25% VAT (called "moms") for that product. That seems like an unnessecary manual step, when it should be possible to just set it automatically. Also, if I forget to add the 25% VAT, it will cost me 20% if someone buys the product.

So... does anybody know a way to make PrestaShop set it automatically when creating new products?

I found this old post: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/159623-way-to-set-default-tax-rule-on-product-in-bo-scroll-down/?do=findComment&comment=2244166

That was actually a great solution for my needs (just overriding the template and setting "selected" one the desired tax-type in the <select>), HOWEVER as I have come to learn, they have changed the structure of PrestaShop since then, and that particular template is no longer there. So its no longer possible to do it as described in that post.

Does anybody know how to do it with a similar solution (or perhaps how to make it set it in the SQL-query that creates the new product)?

Thank you!

Hi, for that sort of thing, small change, I recommend posting in the job sections, find someone that you can try out and hopefully build relationship with who can at times provide technical support.  happy selling

8 minutes ago, PrestaHeroes USA said:

Hi, for that sort of thing, small change, I recommend posting in the job sections, find someone that you can try out and hopefully build relationship with who can at times provide technical support.  happy selling

Thank you for the suggestion :) However, I would really like to learn how to do it myself :) So anyone who could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

Just now, LarsM said:

Thank you for the suggestion :) However, I would really like to learn how to do it myself :) So anyone who could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

download shop files into a folder on your px

use an editor with 'good' search capability tool, I recommend dreamweaver

then in admin, this is where right click chrome inspect will help you find the name of the variable

then search  for variable, update it 

On 9/4/2023 at 10:44 PM, PrestaHeroes USA said:

download shop files into a folder on your px

use an editor with 'good' search capability tool, I recommend dreamweaver

then in admin, this is where right click chrome inspect will help you find the name of the variable

then search  for variable, update it 

Good point. However, Ive already tried that: Using Notepad++ I have searched for terms such as "product_pricing_retail_price_tax_rules" but oddly enough there were no results. Maybe the select is auto-generated somehow?

2 hours ago, LarsM said:

Good point. However, Ive already tried that: Using Notepad++ I have searched for terms such as "product_pricing_retail_price_tax_rules" but oddly enough there were no results. Maybe the select is auto-generated somehow?

notepad even with the ++ is not robust website tool, you want something that you can connect via ftp to upload/manage change.  I use dw, for 25 years, most on my team use maybe other tools but dw is best there is outside of cold fusion.  anyway, if I thought to recommend notepad was good idea I would have mentioned it.