Update from 1.7.8.10 to 8.1.1 fails

Ive tried numerous times to update from 1.7.8.10 to 8.1.1 and it install fails every time.

Prior to updaing I have done all available module updates, turned all cache off, cleared cache, uninstalled all non ps modules, switched to classic theme and deleted my custom theme but still showing errors.

The Pre upgrade checklist shows fine

preupgradechecklist.thumb.jpg.ecae6e085c911ce1e98e77dfb99f125b.jpg

and the activity log shows the following errors

activity-log.thumb.jpg.57d3528862a17e9eee3fbd3bbf157917.jpg

[INTERNAL] /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/src/Core/Addon/Theme/ThemeManager.php line 398 - PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Domain\Theme\Exception\FailedToEnableThemeModuleException: Unfortunately, the module did not return additional details. #0 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/src/Core/Addon/Theme/ThemeManager.php(255): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Addon\Theme\ThemeManager->doEnableModules(Array) #1 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/ThemeAdapter.php(113): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Addon\Theme\ThemeManager->enable('classic') #2 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/ThemeAdapter.php(51): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\ThemeAdapter->enableTheme17('classic') #3 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader.php(683): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\ThemeAdapter->enableTheme('classic') #4 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader.php(137): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader->updateTheme() #5 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader81.php(46): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader->doUpgrade() #6 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/modules/autoupgrade/classes/TaskRunner/Upgrade/UpgradeDb.php(43): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader81->doUpgrade() #7 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wip/xxxxxxxx/autoupgrade/ajax-upgradetab.php(53): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\TaskRunner\Upgrade\UpgradeDb->run() #8 {main}

I am copying the current site to a sub-dir on the same server so server config is the same.

Any ideas as to why this is failing.

Thanks

Hi @MerseyRayIt's problaly not realted to that module.

I just had this problem and fixed it like this:

1. Restore backup to 1.7.8.10
  2. Go to "Design > Theme & Logo" and select the Classic as the active theme.
  3. Clear the "var/cache" folder (remove the dev & prod folders).
  4. Disable the "Switch to the default theme" option in the 1-Click Upgrade module.
  5. Update it again.

Make sure the "Switch to the default theme" is disabled before you click the upgrade button. sometimes it goes back to enable by itself.

Edited by Amin Vatandoust (see edit history)

16 hours ago, ComGrafPL said:

Have you tried to rename that module folder name? Also for 8.1 i suggest to use PHP 8+.

I have tried deleting that folder as the module wont uninstall or reset.

I will be changing it to php8 once the update has done. The current install wont run on php8

21 minutes ago, Amin Vatandoust said:

4. Disable the "Switch to the default theme" option in the 1-Click Upgrade module.
  5. Update it again.

Make sure the "Switch to the default theme" is disabled before you click the upgrade button. sometimes it goes back to enable by itself.

after every update fail I copy the working site again to perform the update tests.

I have done all the clear cache, but will try again now and delete those var/cache folders and disabling the switch to default theme.

Thanks for the suggestions

1 hour ago, MerseyRay said:

after every update fail I copy the working site again to perform the update tests.

I have done all the clear cache, but will try again now and delete those var/cache folders and disabling the switch to default theme.

Thanks for the suggestions

The main part of this solution is to select the Classic as the active theme before upgrading. 

4 hours ago, Amin Vatandoust said:

5. Update it again.

Ok so I copied the 1.7.8.10 site again, disabled the "switch to default theme" and deleted the prod folder (dev wasnt there)

The site upgraded to 8.1.1, soft of.

The back office theme is still the old style (I have cleared cache, tried deleting the prod folder again, tried other browsers)
Inspecting the code, the css is still loaded from %adminfolder%/themes/default/css/vendor/nv.d3.css
The new B.O theme should be loaded from https://unpkg.com/@prestashopcorp/edition-reskin@latest/dist/back.min.css

ps8.1.1.png.09024d315acd9cca101695060ece9fd0.png

Where as on a clean install on the same server, 8.1.0 looks like this

ps8.1.0(1).png.2179736da060a1ee01c65cda59edae59.png

And as you can see from the images, the "Marketplace" menu item is missing on the updated site, but present on the clean install.
And I cant download "marketplace" module as I cant access the marketplace

Now if I try and switch the theme to "classic" i get the same error

themeswitch.png.e5b001140eced837e3d8b3d146eb11c9.png

and the Profile/Permissions page shows this error

profilepermissions.png.6fc3ba5a2ffc2c2ef6c93ccfee91ddc4.png

Edited by MerseyRay (see edit history)

7 hours ago, MerseyRay said:

The back office theme is still the old style (I have cleared cache, tried deleting the prod folder again, tried other browsers)

If I'm not wrong, there are 2 different versions of PrestaShop. One that is called "Edition Basic" and you can download it from prestashop.com/versions

and one that you can download from GitHub

The autoupgrade module downloads the GitHub version and I think that's why your BO looks different. If you install the 8.1.1 version from GitHub, It'll look like your current upgraded shop.

If you want the Edition Basic version, you should probably use the Local directory/archive for the channel mode and upload that file.

-----------

And as you can see from the images, the "Marketplace" menu item is missing on the updated site, but present on the clean install.

Download and install the "ps_mbo" module from this page:

https://github.com/PrestaShopCorp/ps_mbo/releases/tag/v4.5.1

-----------

Now if I try and switch the theme to "classic" i get the same error

Why would you want to switch back to classic after the upgrade? 😃

make sure the productcomment module is the last version (and there is no upgrade for it) and try to enable it yourself. If you turn on the debug mode, you may see what's the error while enabling or checking the logs.

-----------

and the Profile/Permissions page shows this error

Enable debug mode so we can see the details of the error. If you couldn't figure it out, post a screenshot of it.

13 hours ago, Amin Vatandoust said:

If you want the Edition Basic version, you should probably use the Local directory/archive for the channel mode and upload that file.

I tried doing the update from Local Archive first, but from the PS site there is no XML file, thats why i had to use the Github one.

Download and install the "ps_mbo" module from this page:

https://github.com/PrestaShopCorp/ps_mbo/releases/tag/v4.5.1

Ok so i installed that and it installed fine, but that caused the F.O to white screen.  I disabled the Marketplace and the F.O came back. Maybe thats only fully compatible with the PS install from the PS site?

Why would you want to switch back to classic after the upgrade? 😃

make sure the productcomment module is the last version (and there is no upgrade for it) and try to enable it yourself. If you turn on the debug mode, you may see what's the error while enabling or checking the logs.

I tried switching back to classic theme because on the Clean install of 8.1.0 I am recreating my whole theme from scratch (after learning im trying to extend the templates instead of copying the whole template and altering that)

If this next attempt fails ill switch the debug on and post the errors.

Thanks for your help

OK, so I downloaded the file from the ps site. extracted into "Latest Version" folder and done the update (without any errors).

Still has the old style B.O and the Module Catalogue is not installed again.

Installed the Module Catalogue and it works fine on this version. Doesnt cause the white screen on F.O

Permissions page is also working fine

Edited by MerseyRay (see edit history)

@MerseyRay So the update worked fine without any errors? (I thinks that's the importnat part.)

About the style, I hve no clue. maybe if you copy the admin/themes folder from that balck & white ps, you might get it working on your upgraded site, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it. you may find the reason if you search for it. 

about the debug, no idea what's the first part. But I had the bottom notice (ps_files_cleanup_dir) before and I fixed it by changing the session.save_path to /tmp in the php.ini file.

It's probably better to start a new topic for the first error.