Lost 😵‍💫 Which prestashop version to pick 1.7.x vs 8.0.x ?

Hi,

I have a shop running on 1.6x that's been on stand-by/sleep mode for a while now

I'm thinking about re-activating it but i'm a bit lost as to which version to migrate/upgrade to 1.7.8.8, 1.7.8.9, 8.0.4 .. ?

The shop isn't that large, a few dozen products, and 3 or 400 registered customers.

Any help or recommendation is welcome.

Thanks

Edited by USB83
precision (see edit history)

You for sure should use newest version 8.0.4 because v8 is evolution of v1.7. There is a lot improvement and most of themes and modules from 1.7 are compatible with prestashop 8.0. Prestashop 8.0 also is compatible with PHP from 7.4 to 8.1, using heigher available php give your store better performance.

• Thanks 1

Alright,

Two replies, by two Polish 🇵🇱 Grand-Masters... and two different opinions 😝

Just kidding, at least I know, staying with 1.6.1.24 is not a good solution, so migration/upgrade is the way to go

Thanks so much to both of you, i'll play around with both and see which one suits me best 😉

il y a 50 minutes, USB83 a dit :

Alright,

Two replies, by two Polish 🇵🇱 Grand-Masters... and two different opinions 😝

Just kidding, at least I know, staying with 1.6.1.24 is not a good solution, so migration/upgrade is the way to go

Thanks so much to both of you, i'll play around with both and see which one suits me best 😉

Third vision, I would stay on the 1.6 branch to avoid all the problems linked to the 1.7 and 8 which was more developed to satisfy the developers than to improve the life of the merchants.

In any case, it is up to you to test all this to make your opinion according to your uses.

Know that there is a version 1.6 compatible PHP8 : https://eoliashop.com/prestashop-new

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mediacom87 said:

Third vision, I would stay on the 1.6 branch to avoid all the problems linked to the 1.7 and 8 which was more developed to satisfy the developers than to improve the life of the merchants.

In any case, it is up to you to test all this to make your opinion according to your uses.

Know that there is a version 1.6 compatible PHP8 : https://eoliashop.com/prestashop-new

What kind of problems should I be aware of regarding 1.7x ?

ps : si j'avais su qu'il y avait cette branche 'indépendate' de la version 1.6x, j'aurais probablement opté pour cette option.
Dommage pour le coup, mais c'est bon à savoir, ça peut toujours servir, merci pour les efforts !

On 5/14/2023 at 2:06 PM, USB83 said:

Grand-Masters

@USB83 Please be aware that rank in forum means alemost nothing, user achieve it by posting content, one post is one point, so it means that if someone post a lot contetnt with: "Thanks", "Great", "Help me" an so one, can achive this rank too.

Prestashop probably in future will drop smarty template and will use only twig, that means all modules writed for Prestashop 1.6 and lower will not work, some writed with smarty for 1.7 and 8.0 too. Developers who writes themes and modules for Prestashop 1.6, 1.7, 8.0 if they want in future keep compatybility with new version they must start write addons using symfony and twig, in that case numbers of developers who write addons for prestashop 1.6 will be shrinking year by year. Less addons, and less programmers means heigher costs for custom work.

If you consciously stay on the old version, you agree to the information that you have limited access to templates or modules, those that are available for the current version and those that will be created in the future.