Shipping cost situation

Stanev

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for being so helpful and awesome.

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to on the forum. Currently, my website offers shipping, and I have contacted a courier service to integrate their module. They informed me that in order to correctly use their module for integration, we would need to add weight to every single item. This is necessary if we want the shipping price to show up at the time of purchase. We currently have over 1600 products, and we will be adding around 3000 more. We don't want to weigh every single item individually, so instead, we have decided to let the customer know that the shipment cost will be calculated after they place their order, and we will inform them.

I have a few questions:

How can I change the shipping price manually on the website?

When customers choose their courier, there are only two options - free delivery and delivery that costs money. I can't add a text that explains that the customer will need to cover the shipping costs.

Is there a more optimal way to deal with this issue overall, as I don't want to complicate the buyer journey?

Thank you very much in advance

2 hours ago, Stanev said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for being so helpful and awesome.

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to on the forum. Currently, my website offers shipping, and I have contacted a courier service to integrate their module. They informed me that in order to correctly use their module for integration, we would need to add weight to every single item. This is necessary if we want the shipping price to show up at the time of purchase. We currently have over 1600 products, and we will be adding around 3000 more. We don't want to weigh every single item individually, so instead, we have decided to let the customer know that the shipment cost will be calculated after they place their order, and we will inform them.

I have a few questions:

How can I change the shipping price manually on the website?

When customers choose their courier, there are only two options - free delivery and delivery that costs money. I can't add a text that explains that the customer will need to cover the shipping costs.

Is there a more optimal way to deal with this issue overall, as I don't want to complicate the buyer journey?

Thank you very much in advance

it's difficult to provide best advice without knowing the product vertical

maybe have an average weight that could be used when product has no weight?  

ecommerce is easy, shipping is hard.  I don't recommend confusing the customer about post checkout additional shipping costs.  If you are b2b then consider a quote system where you can quote order and include shipping.

Edited by PrestaHeroes USA (see edit history)

21 hours ago, PrestaHeroes USA said:

it's difficult to provide best advice without knowing the product vertical

maybe have an average weight that could be used when product has no weight?  

ecommerce is easy, shipping is hard.  I don't recommend confusing the customer about post checkout additional shipping costs.  If you are b2b then consider a quote system where you can quote order and include shipping.

Thank you for the answer. We are dealing with B2B predominantly. Is there a way to amend the shipping cost after the purchase by any chance, I think tis would be the best outcome. We have already put a message that we will contact the customer regarding the shipping cost as it's free after e certain amount.

15 minutes ago, Stanev said:

Thank you for the answer. We are dealing with B2B predominantly. Is there a way to amend the shipping cost after the purchase by any chance, I think tis would be the best outcome. We have already put a message that we will contact the customer regarding the shipping cost as it's free after e certain amount.

native PS does not allow us to amend an order with additional shipping, unless you make that cost a  product.

This module looks interesting, but there may be others similar.  Usually you can  find a solution on addons that does most of what you want but the beauty of open souce is that it's easier to customize a module that gets base feature.

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/shipping-carriers/18340-change-carriershipping-cost-and-weight-in-order-detail.html

"This module is great tool for merchants which needs to somehow customize the shipping details after the customer already placed the order. The merchant can change carrier, shipping cost, weight and tax rate."

this found via this search

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/search?search_query=amend shipping

Edited by PrestaHeroes USA (see edit history)

One question, will b2(b) may payment for products in cart or after they receive updated invoice with shipping?  This is why I mentioned 'quote', there is one (only one) really good quote module on addons, we customized it for a b2b client, the other quote modules were pretty horrible, and that client is largest seller of gutter products in the UK. 

That's why I mentioned it earlier...I think quote system, done right...is your best solution, then you can determine shipping, then send invoice with  payment link.  

It's been a while since we did that integration, I think it was this module

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/quotes/21854-quote-allow-customer-to-ask-for-quote.html

16 hours ago, PrestaHeroes USA said:

One question, will b2(b) may payment for products in cart or after they receive updated invoice with shipping?  This is why I mentioned 'quote', there is one (only one) really good quote module on addons, we customized it for a b2b client, the other quote modules were pretty horrible, and that client is largest seller of gutter products in the UK. 

That's why I mentioned it earlier...I think quote system, done right...is your best solution, then you can determine shipping, then send invoice with  payment link.  

It's been a while since we did that integration, I think it was this module

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/quotes/21854-quote-allow-customer-to-ask-for-quote.html

Hello,

They will pay after the order, we have too many clients that have specific discounts so we did this in order to change their prices after ordering. For existing clients this was the only optimal solution. I might look into this module.

5 hours ago, Stanev said:

Hello,

They will pay after the order, we have too many clients that have specific discounts so we did this in order to change their prices after ordering. For existing clients this was the only optimal solution. I might look into this module.

the key feature for a quote integration is the admin functions and front end.  here is example of one of my well formed quote systems.