Impossible to update any module in Prestashop 8.0.1

CatNails

Hello,

I have just migrated my shop to PS 8.0.1.
Since the beginning, it is impossible for me to update a module, and this for any module, native or non-native.
I've already tried clearing the cache, deleting everything under the var/cache/ directory, but nothing works, I always get this error message "Could not perform action update for module undefined".

image.thumb.png.1c960487425c7fcddeb5c94523bc37fc.png
Has anyone got the case? Or an idea of how to solve it?
Here is my current PS 8.0.1 configuration.
Thanks in advance for your help.

image.png.049af4d6de6816faeea3ff94bfc0ec75.png

I've seen this a few times.

1. When trying to 'update all' - the system seems to go into overload.  If you update one module at a time it works.  You may also have to change the order in which you update modules (the native ones).

2. After a PS update.  I updated the module first or disabled the module just before the PS upgrade.  It depends on the module, was a bit of try and try again. (if 3rd party mods, enable Debug just before you enable the mod so it can tell you what the problem is).

3. Some needed to be updated manually or reinstalled (manual for the ones that hold configurations) - worked with all the modules I came across.  Very often the case if the update was from PS 1.7x to 8.x AND php 7 to 8.

Even some of the native mods are picky about when they want to be updated.

• 3 months later...
à l’instant, @diegofrancesco a dit :

I've already read that thanks, but it doesn't explain how he identified the module that created the problem among all those installed. It may also be useful to others in the future.

Simply by deactivating all the modules one by one, or by having the information displayed in an error message following activation of the Debug module.

There's absolutely no magic in life.

Il y a 3 heures, Mediacom87 a dit :

Simply by deactivating all the modules one by one, or by having the information displayed in an error message following activation of the Debug module.

There's absolutely no magic in life.

Hello Mediacom,

Thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I did.

Hello @diegofrancesco,
I deactived first all the non PS native modules that I installed and then I activated them one by one to see which one caused the problem.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I've had the same problem : "Could not perform action update for module undefinded" showing up every time I tried to update a module.

I could solve it with a reset of module ps_mbo.

(PS version 8.1.5)

il y a 5 minutes, Nickz a dit :

why do you wish to update? Any particular reason?

I don't keep up to date every module, especially when I'm satisfied with them, when there's no security warning, etc.

But I've noticed that some should be updated, such as some transport modules: sometimes there are changes in shipping facilities list.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:50 PM, Marz12 said:

when there's no security warning, etc.

the so called security warning is an advert of the developer.  You see nowadays warnings about a PHP version being dangerous. That is greatly exaggerated. 
A good reason to go VPS and control the environment yourself of get a techi to do that for you.

il y a 13 minutes, Nickz a dit :

the so called security warning is an advert of the developer.  You see nowadays warnings about a PHP version being dangerous. That is greatly exaggerated. 
A good reason to go VPS and control the environment yourself of get a techi to do that for you.

In 2020, we received a security warning from Prestashop because of security problems on some modules. It was no joke. As far as I remember the developper had "forgotten" to suppress STDIN access in some files!!! Unbelievable but true! A number of websites got hacked. I could track attempts on mine, luckily avoided. No exageration at all.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/1013028-faille-de-sécurité-suite/

Now I'm speaking to other Prestashop users:

There are some friendly "Grand Masters" here in the forum telling you that

- you don't need to make frequent updates

- security warnings are "greatly exaggerated"

- don't ask for up-to-date PHP versions

- and best of all: "get a techi to do things for you" (because you're not techi enough. LOL!)

Do they fear their customers want them to do well the securing job ? (that takes time)

My two cents: use your brain, read carefully the security warnings, read Prestashop docs, and make your own decision. Mine is to update when it's about security.

If no one had updated to the newest version the insecurity would not have taken so many victims.

36 minutes ago, Marz12 said:

My two cents: use your brain,

That is a good idea.

I wouldn't be too sure that Prestashop has your best interest in mind. Their security holes play neatly into their SaaS plans.

Grandmaster is a forum title nothing else. It means I must have done something right.

il y a une heure, Nickz a dit :

If no one had updated to the newest version the insecurity would not have taken so many victims.

No, the security holes were in many versions, not only newest ones, see for instance (sorry I've kept only french links): https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/1012095-hack-prestashop-avec-xsamxadoo-bot/

il y a une heure, Nickz a dit :

I wouldn't be too sure that Prestashop has your best interest in mind. Their security holes play neatly into their SaaS plans.

If you're right, this would be a strong reason to leave Prestashop. Deliberately kept security holes would be unacceptable.

Anyway we do agree on the motto "use your brain".

• Like 1

The main vulnerabilities are to be found in the modules.

PrestaShop isn't perfect, and their choice to switch to a structure based on external components, all independent but over-interdependent, can also lead to more vulnerabilities linked to code that isn't supported by PrestaShop. All modern projects are in this form, and all have the same worries: tracking each piece of code, security risks, compatibility with version upgrades for this or that component. It's complex and seems difficult to maintain, even though it's precisely to justify the maintainability of the code that these components are used.

The community is working to improve things, for example with https://security.friendsofpresta.org/.

Addons will soon be stepping up quality controls on module code and charging contributors for this testing overload, so the Addons module catalog will shrink and, above all, prices will rise to compensate for this burden. All this will rationalize the sector and also improve the security of modules on the platform. The perverse effect of this choice is that many modules will disappear, and it will be necessary to search for them on each developer's site, risking less control and less revenue for PrestaShop in the long term.

• Thanks 1