Understanding img/tmp folder in PS 1.7.8.7

I'm trying to understand the purpose of img/tmp folder in the new PS 1.7 and I have searched a lot of information in this forum (It seems like the PS documentation is a bit confidential to expose this information elsewhere).. I'm using the latest Prestashop 1.7 and I really want to know whether this folder is safe to remove and it is not used by other functions. I have seen a lot replies that say this img/tmp folder except index.php can be deleted without issue but another senior user said, those tmp files are used to display images in orders history and all of these information were posted many years before for the old PS version. In addition of that, I saw this one file in img/tmp/filetype which contains only a string 'jpg'. I'm not trying to guess so I want to know specifically what is the purpose of this file? Is it worth it to remove these temp files when doing a backup to reduce disk space? Thank you.

Hi.
If you look in the tmp folder, you will find that thumbnails are stored there, these are the images you see in the administration in the lists.
When you open the list of products in the administration, you see the thumbnails there (they are stored in the tmp folder), when you open the list of categories in the administration, you also see the thumbnails there (they are also stored in the tmp folder).
So when you delete the folder, nothing happens.
As soon as you open the list of products in the administration, thumbnails etc. are automatically created in the tmp folder...

The purpose is to create really small images in this folder and not burden the system to search for them in recursive directories.

3 hours ago, 4you.software said:

There are products in the order details and they have thumbnails.
They are the same thumbnails as in the product listing.
Just mouse over the image and the URL of the image will be displayed.

Thank you.

• Like 1