Global variables

Hi,

I am trying to define a global variable that will be used in a custom module, but the module's tpl file always displays a null value. I am guessing it is a problem with the variable scope, so I am trying to create this new global variable wherever prestashop's global variables are defined. This has taken a lot of my time to figure out, but I still haven't got anything. Does someone know how to proceed?

Edited by AminaM (see edit history)

Thank you for your answer, but I am not sure to understand... The hook displayHeader should be called from a FrontController from what I understand, but whenever I define a variable in my FrontController and try to display it in the module's tpl file, I am faced with the same problem.

21 minutes ago, AminaM said:

Thank you for your answer, but I am not sure to understand... The hook displayHeader should be called from a FrontController from what I understand, but whenever I define a variable in my FrontController and try to display it in the module's tpl file, I am faced with the same problem.

Use the install function in your module to register hook like this:

public function install()
    {
        if (!parent::install() || !$this->registerHook('displayHeader')) {
            return false;
        }
    }

And the content of the hook will be in this function:

public function hookdisplayHeader()
    {
       code content
    }

I will try your suggestiong, thanks! However, I am wondering if I can override the module's main class instead of directly adding it to the module itself, since it was bought from a third party. I am not sure how to proceed to get the hook installed while using the override principle.

Basically, I have a module for additionnal registration fields. Inside this module is the main php file and a template. Everything works great when I set my smarty variable directly in the main class, but it doesn't work anymore when I override it and try to get my custom changes outside of the module. That's my big issue at the moment...and I would be really grateful if someone could give me a solution for that!

Edited by AminaM (see edit history)

And apart from that solution, could there be another one? Like setting the variable in a controller/class where it would be accessible by any module? I have tried putting it in most front controllers, without success.

If there is no other solution, I will stick to the one you suggested, since it does what I want it to do. But I have been told to avoid modifying the module's main class and to find another solution, so if there is one I haven't thought of that you would apply in a similar situation, I would love to hear it.

Again, thank you so much for your help and your time!