Changing category ID?

1cctv

I am running a web store on PS 1767. I need to change numerical ID of some categories. I have some links going to them (with other/old ID's) that I can't change in any way. In the meanwile I changed the store, category ID's are now different, links not going where they should. I am not a programmer but I can edit some code or work on the db using phpmyadmin. I found the categories and respective ID's in ps_category_lang. Also, there are a lot of cross references, like which product goes to which category (ID)...etc. Where exactly do I need to change and not mess-up everything? Should I edit the db? Maybe export category as csv file and import after editing? How can I do that safe and easy? I have the Store Manager software if that helps.

Edited by 1cctv (see edit history)

Why did you change id of category? It is a bad practice to modify database records manually. You need to explain more about what do you need and then we can offer better solutions. You wanted to fix something and instead you have made a mistake and ruined something else. Please explain what is it with changing the id of category

10 minutes ago, stifler97 said:

Why did you change id of category? It is a bad practice to modify database records manually. You need to explain more about what do you need and then we can offer better solutions. You wanted to fix something and instead you have made a mistake and ruined something else. Please explain what is it with changing the id of category

I explained already. For marketing purpose. I have advertising links on many web sites that I do not own and can not revise. Those are sending to wrong category ID now, I need to change back to old ID's that we had before updating the store. When we updated the store we lost the original ID's, store is the same, ID's are different now. Did not know at that time, now this is it. We just need to change those category ID's, from 106 to 173, from 22 to 58 and so on.

22 minutes ago, stifler97 said:

To my understanding this is what you have:
1. A link in other website that opens category id of 22
2. Category 22 is not what it meant to be and the correct one is now 58
3. So we need that link to go to category 58

yes. i may have an archive of the store saved at that time, i keep them. ID's needs to be changed anyway.

if you don't know much about PS, as you admitted, in future you may want to ask someone before you modify something like this.

also you should have done this on a test copy of your shop to test  before commiting to production.  

following a couple of 'wise' steps like pre test, understanding implications of what you are about to do, would have saved your shop from destruction.

I think stifler97 was very helpful to you, and probably his solution would solve...but I don't think you still understand what you did.

• Like 1