Customer emails not getting through

Hamilton

Hi Everyone, 

My customer emails (registration/ order/ shipping confirmation) are not getting through to some customers.

It only affects customers with a gmail.com address. They don't even appear in Spam. Other domain email addresses are fine.

When I manually send an email to a gmail address from the domain address email using MacMail, it is fine, therefore I don't think it is IP, black listed of even content related, but instead looks like Prestashop related?

Even the simple server email config tests don't get through, where the email just says in text "This is a test message. Your server is now configured to send email."

I am using 1.7.8.6

Please can anyone help, or have any ideas of where to look? It's causing a lot of issues.

Thanks for your reply. I'm with GoDaddy, and the email is Office 365. I've called them up and they did tests, which turned out fine. I believe this is similar to me sending successfully from my email client manually.

You mentioned " gmail SMTP service". Doesn't this only apply if the custom domain email address was hosted by gmail?

Thank you for the link. I believe this only applies if my sending email address was a gmail address, or if I purchased a custom domain name from Google Workspace.

Either that, or I'm not seeing where I can run a test to see if the issue is 365 or shop?

Yes, I've run various checks. Also when I manually send emails from a mail client app it works fine, so the IP and domain are ok. I do suspect the issue is localised to Prestashop somehow.

I'm trying to switch from PHP to SMTP now to see if it makes a difference, but the setting to allow this in 365 apparently takes a while to take effect.

I will also look into the API suggestion. I am less familiar with this, so am looking into how to do so. 

Much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Problem solved!!

After a lot of going back and forth, the issue seems to have stemmed from the SPF not being set up properly in the DNS records of my domain.

A further confusion is that when I asked to have it double checked on the phone to GoDaddy support (my hosting provider), in the previous month, they said it was ok.

This week, I received a specific bounce back error email report from a customer email address which was hosted by gmail which specificallymentioned SPF, so I again focused on this, and now after the 24 hours of propagation, it has now worked!

A huge relief - I hope this can serve to help others too.

Interestingly, before this issue occurred, I had been operating the PS website for years with no SPF, DMARC etc set up at all, and it was fine.

• Like 1