PHP version problem for upgrade from 1.6.1.24 to 1.7.8.5

My current PHP version is 5.6. The lowest version Godaddy will allow for an update is 7.3 - the highest is 8.1

According to the PrestaShop PHP compatibility chart, Prestashop 1.6.1.24 will not work on PHP 7.3

1-click update warns me to update my PHP version, so what is my process to get to the latest version of PrestaShop?

Is it possible to update to PrestaShop 1.7.6, then update PHP to 7.3, then update Prestashop further?

Or perhaps is it possible to install PHP 7.1 on my Godaddy host manually? 7.1 is compatible with both PrestaShop 1.6.1.24 and 1.7.8.5.

Or is 1-Click Upgrade in PrestaShop 1.6.1.24 compatible with PHP 7.3 even though PrestaShop 1.6.1.24 in general is not?

Note that I am not concerned about module compatibility - just trying to avoid PHP problems during and after the update.

Edited by madmartian (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, Ress said:

I would suggest you to install a fresh prestashop, the latest version, configure it exactly as you should, and migrate your data (customers, orders, etc.) from the old prestashop.

I'm trying to avoid that. I did that once before and it was quite unpleasant. It's also harder to fix things now since Godaddy no longer allows commandline access.

For 1.7.8+ you need to use PHP 7.4.

For me, always the best option was to install the newest PS version on i.e  other domain and migrate all the data after install theme and modules. Check it and transfer to the old domain.

Upgrading PHP either prestashop version is tricky in most cases.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 17-54-28 System requirements for PrestaShop 1 7.png

• Like 1

Perhaps trying to find a new hosting-partner who supports Direct Admin and Installatron ? and also multiple PHP-versions

Within Direct Admin I can choose wich PHP-version will run on that particulair website.  can choose from 7.3 > 8.1

I have no problems updating and upgrading prestashop.  Installatron manages this completely automatrosc, with creating a backup before updating PS to newer version

image.png.cd848bbe147b8fc25c4a22b4bd35ff4d.png

image.png.b4df8d8ebff92a67775f146ce64f62ac.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Madmartin,

I just saw this post you left regarding the one click upgrade, I have never been able to make it work & each time it has crashed the site & my developer, has had to restore the site from back-ups!

I see that there is a pay for one-click module, I wonder if that works better & if so why doesn't the free one work!

I would like someone who is an expert to explain is it because my PS site is quite complex & that it works fine for simpler site, because when I queried  it before on the forum, many people said they had, had the same experience as me, that they could never get it to work. So I st6opped using it & pay my Developer to upgrade the PS each time.

I have recently received a message from PS market place stating that they released an upgrade for it, however when I clicked on the link in the email & tried to find the new module I couldn't, so I search for it, still couldn't find it.

I contacted PS customer services to inform them, that the link wasn't working & that I manually searched & still couldn't find the upgrade & got a not very helpful or accurate reply, as I followed the instructions exactly & still no module upgrade available!

As I always say I am not perfect & that I am not a Developer or IT expert & that it could be partly ME, however when one askes for help, one expects that the help be professional & accurate. They could have sent me a link that would take me directly to the module but didn't, they sent me instructions, which were exactly what I had already followed & still no upgrade, maybe I am misunderstanding something, however customers service is not helping me understand what is going wrong!

We can be keep trying