Templates and child themes

MightyMouseofGod

Hi

I bought the HiddenTechies Apparel Pro theme because it was the closest I could find to what I wanted but I still wanted to modify some of the styles. I was told that using child themes was the way to go so that if the theme is updated I won't lose my modifications.

HiddenTechies seem to have filled the custom.css with their own custom code. If I create the appropriate file structure with my custom code in a file named custom.css then Prestashop doesn't look at the parent themes css file so the site is completely broken. If I create it with a different name it ignores my modifications. There is a note in the custom.css file to say that

/* * Custom code goes here.
* A template should always ship with an empty custom.css */

but HiddenTechies haven't followed this.

They solved the problem of the completely broken site by renaming my assets folder so the modifications were ignored. To quote their reply, 

"Regarding your query, We have solved your child theme issue that broke your website. Currently we have change the folder name of your child theme's assets folder 'css' to 'css_bk'. If you want to use your child theme's CSS folder inside assets folder then rename it as 'css' and It’s recommended to copy these files from the Parent theme.

If I'm understanding them correctly this defeats the object of a child theme as if the Apparel Pro theme is updated for any reason then the updates will have no effect.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Debbie

1 hour ago, MightyMouseofGod said:

I bought the HiddenTechies Apparel Pro theme because it was the closest I could find to what I wanted but I still wanted to modify some of the styles. I was told that using child themes was the way to go so that if the theme is updated I won't lose my modifications.

Why no leaving it as close at it comes to your taste. You are not your own client. Your shop needs to please customers.