PrestaShop v.1.4.0.17 on shared Linux/Apache - installation does not advance after database created in Step 3 - [SOLVED]

Note: I am on a Shared Linux/Apache hosting configuration, and installed the latest PrestaShop version 1.4.0.17 as mentioned in other posts. I researched the other threads, and chose to start a new one with a more explicit title.

It appears there is no way to manually advance from Step 3 to Step 4, after the database has been verified and the tables have been created. I checked the /config directory after the install, and found a hidden file:

Some of the options suggested by other posts include:

Modify php.ini to remove "notices" from error messages: This won't work on shared hosting configurations because we can't access the php.ini configuration file. Besides, most shared hosting configurations turn off all error reporting for security reasons.

Use IE8 (in Compatibility View mode): I suppose that maybe the javascript server calls aren't receiving the right information back in order to proceed. However, I see that as a serious bug, if only one browser in one configuration works.

Drop the database tables and try installing the app again: It doesn't matter. I've done this a five times with no success. I still cannot advance to the next screen in order to modify the user names and site information.

PrestaShop developers:

1) What is the URL of the page to bump to step 4?
2) Will I have to add users manually in order to proceed?

I should have read this site more clearly: http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Installing_And_Updating_PrestaShop_Software

I was not aware that CHMOD 777 permissions were required; I thought that standard read/write permissions by the web server user account were all that was necessary. I see 777 as being a security loophole that should be patched if it's necessary in order to complete the install.

The other thing I did was clear my browser cookies and cache, as after several attempts to install the software I may have accumulated too much crud.

Also, it would be helpful for the installation routine to provide an advance button after the database step is completed, and not rely on AJAX.

Thanks.

-Tony