Product Image

Product image is pre defined (suggested) to 800 x 800px but I would like it to be more flexible. I will sell posters like 70 x 100 cm so it would be nice to show a thumb with without white top/buttom.

Is it possible to let image take the ratio from the uploaded? 

The default ratio is 1:1 (square) and you need a 0.7:1 (rectangular).

While it is possible to change the image sizes to meet your criteria, if the original image dousn't have the same desired ration them PS will regenerate it according to your desired ratio but it will very likely distort it; there are several regenerate options you should test them but first backup your img directory so you could restore it afterwards if not happy with the result.

Okay - but why should there be a relationship?
I have created websites where a thumbnail is displayed and when you click on it a large image appears which is displayed in the ratio of the image - just like here https://galleri-randers.dk (bottom gallery)
If it can't be changed then I would suggest resizing to 1000 x 1000 px, I think 800 x 800 px a bit small.

Oh sorry I didn't write that the thumbnail isn't resized, it's just a 1:1 cropped section from center of the full image.

If this isn't possible, can settings be changed so that the full image displayed is larger than 800 x 800 px, e.g. 1200 x 1200

Yes you can change the width/height for a particular image type.

Here, https://i.imgur.com/r5RenT8.png, you can see the image types for the default Classic theme, if you use another there might be more types with different sizes.

You need to look into your theme's template file, see what image type is the one you need to change then go to Design->Image Settings, select that type, change its sizes then scroll to bottom and regenerate the images where that type is used, e.g.  choose Product then the image type you need.