Issues with 1-click upgrade to 1.7.6.2

1-click upgrade (ver 4.10.0)  from 1.6.0.14 to 1.7.6.2 resulted in a single log error but several issues.  This started with a fresh install and the default theme.

PHP is 7.0.25

Log error

Class \"AdminLinkWidgetController\" not found in controllers/admin

Issues:

I cannot get to several pages (e.g. Advanced Parameters->Administration, Shop Parameters->General, etc) from the back-office menu (just takes me to Dashboard).

Also, I get Access denied messages the first time I try other menu options (e.g. Module Manager)

I would not expect something to be missing from the upgrade but I've looked in 1.6 and 1.7 git repos and don't see any AdminLinkWIdgetController so not clear on the error or how to resolve.

Any help would be appreciated. 

~Anna

11 hours ago, nikkickc said:

Hi Anna

Did you find the solution as I have the same issue :(

Nikki

Hi Nikki! No I have not found a solution.  Reading other posts there is a recommendation to do the upgrade manually; yeah, I could do that but the 1-click upgrades were one of the reasons I selected Prestashop....so being a bit stubborn for the moment in that if 1-click is an offered capability it should work, especially from a completely fresh install.  

If I find anything, or more hopefully if someone else posts a solution, we can both move forward :)

@DigitalCowboyYou did a fresh install of PS 1.6. and then tried to upgrade to latest 1.7. ?

Access denied is due to wrong configured servers. Your server is not giving the correct permissions. I don't understand exact what is the problem.

Perhaps your server is also not fulfilling the needed requirements you can read on here: https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/basics/installation/system-requirements/

Requirement stated there presume that if you are using php 5.6. then it is one of the latest (5.6.30 or 5.6.40)!! With php 7.2. and mySQL 5.7. or maria DB 10 PS 1.7. should run smoothly.

or here: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/884856-best-server-settings-for-prestashop-17-tested-in-production/

Furthermore before you try any upgrade you should deinstall all overrides and addons (theme/modules) which are not default Prestashop.

The error AdminLinkWidget is an error with cache. You should delete via FTP ALL CONTENT of the folder /var/cache/*. Delete also the cache and cookie sessions of your browser. Then problem should be solved.

Thanks for the response Selectshop.

Yes, I started with 1.6x as it's what my hosting provider has as a starting 1-click install for the service for which I am subscribed and that's what my configured stores are currently running.

I created fresh installs on newly configured sub/domains and  I've run the phppsinfo.php on each instance I've tried and all required settings are good.  There are a few recommended changes (memcached is not set, and max_input_chars is 1000 as required but not higher as recommended) but nothing that would create the issues I am having AFAIK....happy to be proven wrong...quickly :)

I'll try the upgrade (and initial install) starting at PHP 7.2 though my understanding is that 7.0 should have worked.  I started each fresh install with PHP 7.0 so anything related to 5.6 should be irrelevant.

MySQL - currently running 5.6.41-84.1 (5.5 is required, 5.6 is recommended) so should be good there.

I'd like to understand the permissions issue.   The fresh install of 1.6 worked fine so curious what specific requirement for 1.7 upgrade might be out of sorts...I've gone through the list and phppsinfo as I mention and seems like everything should work.

Regarding the cache. I did delete var/cache and browser cache  - have still not been able to get to the pages like Admin.

@DigitalCowboy

As I said:

21 hours ago, selectshop.at said:

With php 7.2. and mySQL 5.7. or maria DB 10 PS 1.7. should run smoothly.

By permissions the correct cmhod for folders and files is meant. Prestashop needs recursive write permissions on several directories (Folders 0755 and files 0644):

/admin-dev/autoupgrade/, /app/logs, /app/Resources/translations, /cache, /config/themes, /download, /img, /log, /mails, /modules, /themes, /translations, /var

php 7.0 and php 7.1. are both end of life, so you should not use not supported php-vesions anymore. Not supported means that no update will be given anymore from php (also not for security issues). So better you start with php 7.2.

For mysql: you cannot run mysql 5.5 vesions with php 7.0. It will not work. Try the suggested server configuration and you will see that it will run.

What is also very important: before you try any upgrade you should deinstall all overrides and addons (theme/modules) which are not default Prestashop.

No  solution yet.  This forum section is littered with  a wide variety of 1.7 upgrade issues but they are all either unresolved or have solutions that don't address my  (and apparently a few other's) problem.

A dot upgrade 1.6 to 1.7 should be simple...if this was say a 1.x to 2.x upgrade then I get it - lots more dependencies, breaking design changes...if there were too many moving parts for a simple upgrade tool then maybe Prestashop leads should reconsider their versioning process and nomenclature...words (and numbers) have meanings.

Come out with new guidance that addresses all these issues instead of letting this fester.  I've spent enough time on just this simple upgrade that I could have paid for a year of Shopify.

Specifically, 

re: versions

Both phppsinfo and Prestashop's upgrade guidance page say PHP 7.0 and PHP 7.1 are good so if that is not the case they should adjust their guidance and be prescriptive.

I get that EOL is a rolling thing but I know of stores running PHP 7.0 and PS 1.7 so that seems a red herring. 

Similar with MySQL -  As I mentioned above, I am running a suggested version (specifically 5.6.41-84.1) and guidance is 5.6.

Can you point me to the guidance that says 5.7?.  I'd be more than happy to upgrade to MySQL 8.0 if that solves the issue, especially since 5.6 will be EOL in a year and 5.7 a couple years later.

re: permissions

All folders appear to be 755 including new 1.7 folders like /var and all files look to be 644.  I guess I could write a script to be sure... 

re: default 

As I mentioned I started with a fresh PS 1.6x (no adjustments at all) and then tried the upgrade to 1.7.

I have another website on the same host that is 1.7 - works fine!

This was also a fresh install of 1.6 that I was upgrading - started with a fresh install a while ago as was having so many issues and timing out when updating - fresh install cured that and site started working properly (old version was creating too many inodes and cache had to be cleared regularly by host).  Have tried a couple of other things in the past couple of days to no avail.  Have now copied the database of the upgraded site, deleted and reinstalled 1.7 (all works fine) when database is installed same issues occur.  Am now trying just to install the parts on the database that contain the products orders images etc.  Slow process but luckily this is not my main source of income at the moment so I have the time to sort it out and I knew that a fair amount of work would need doing on the site anyway (as per the 1.5 - 1.6 upgrade)

All the previous issues I have had I believe have come from upgrades and moving hosts which is why I am now going for the clean install, fingers x'd!!  

4 hours ago, DigitalCowboy said:

Can you point me to the guidance that says 5.7?.  I'd be more than happy to upgrade to MySQL 8.0 if that solves the issue, especially since 5.6 will be EOL in a year and 5.7 a couple years later.

There is no official guidance for sql. SQL versions are delivered in combination with php version and for upgrades on the OS of your server. If you are not updating your server as well, then you will remain with old and one day incompatible things. The problem you are having seems to be a bad configured server. In the guidance I added some posts before for "requirements  tested in production" you will find all this commented and it is from my long-standing experience in server install and administration for servers specially optimized for Prestashop (VPS and dedicated).

If you have read the same guidance, you should also have discovered that php 5.6. is already end of life and not in a year. Also php 7.0 and 7.1 are end of life. See official docu here, if you missed the advice in my tutorial/guidance: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

5 hours ago, selectshop.at said:

Other knowing problem with upgrades are with gamification module. Deinstall the module from the  module manager list on back office, or rename it via FTP to something other. This module is useless and making several problems related to the error "access denied".

I can't seem to find the Gamification module in module manager....can you point me to it?  Is that the "Onboarding" module?

I do see a gamification folder in /modules but I'd prefer to disable it via the module manager.

At least I am not alone in this. I just rolled back an install because of issues that came with the update.
I am actually a little confused on the correct update path.

I have 1.6 running on PHP5.6 but 1.7 needs PHP7.x. And 1.6 does not support PHP7. 🤔

What I tried is to run the upgrade on 1.6 with PHP5 and then switch to PHP7 after the upgrade to 1.7.
Is that the expected upgrade path? This whole in-app upgrade thing is just awkward.

There also seems to be no official documentation on what modules to delete. AFAIU

- gamification
- advancedeucompliance

Something else?

I gave up!

Copied the upgraded databases and image files c and p, deleted site and reinstalled a fresh version of 1.7!

Copied all databases (via PhpMyAdmin) relating to the following - address, attribute, category, customer, feature, images, manufacturer, order, product, stock and my site is all there!

Making a few tweaks to get it how I want it but would have had to do that anyway!  Just about ready to take it out of maintenance mode - far to much time taken to try to work out what has gone wrong!  Will admit I messed up a few times on what databases to copy over but got there in the end!  Spent nearly 4 days trying to get site to work with all suggestions and 1 hour to actually have a working site using the above option (after my first few fails LOL)

Nikki

5 minutes ago, nikkickc said:

Copied the upgraded databases and image files c and p, deleted site and reinstalled a fresh version of 1.7!

Is there a way to manually migrate the db?
I wouldn't have a clue which tables can be copied and which not - but I thought about this, too. 

Another way would be the export/import route. Did you try that before?

This should be much easier 😞

2 minutes ago, tcurdt said:

Is there a way to manually migrate the db?
I wouldn't have a clue which tables can be copied and which not - but I thought about this, too. 

Another way would be the export/import route. Did you try that before?

This should be much easier 😞

I did try just exporting and importing the database but the error came with it!  I'm by no means an expert on this LOL but once I got my head around it it was quite easy - just make sure you create the new site with the same database prefix - saves all the faffing around :D

If you can rename the existing site and install the new site on the same server you can just delete and then import the correct databases

I can give you an exact list of the ones i copied later if you would like

1 minute ago, nikkickc said:

If you can rename the existing site and install the new site on the same server you can just delete and then import the correct databases

I can give you an exact list of the ones i copied later if you would like

Already got a second instance running.

If you had an exact list that would be great. Thx!

In order to migrate the DB I ran another update on a cleaned up version of 1.6. This time it went much smoother. But I still I got

SQL 1.7.0.0 1786 in /* Create a copy without indexes to make ID updates without conflict. */ CREATE TABLE `ps_access_old` AS SELECT * FROM `ps_access`: Statement violates GTID consistency: CREATE TABLE ... SELECT.
SQL 1.7.0.0 1146 in /* Update access tab IDs */ UPDATE `ps_access_old` ao SET `id_tab` = ( /* Update tab ID if possible, leave as is if the tab does not exist anymore */ SELECT IFNULL(`id_new_tab`, ao.`id_tab`) FROM `ps_tab_transit` WHERE `id_old_tab` = ao.`id_tab` ): Table 'dbs257321.ps_access_old' doesn't exist

While it says "DB update successful" I am not so sure about those errors.

Anyone a clue?

1 hour ago, tcurdt said:

Already got a second instance running.

If you had an exact list that would be great. Thx!

These are the databases I copied

psxz_address

psxz_address_format

psxz_attribute

psxz_attribute_group

psxz_attribute_group_lang

psxz_attribute_group_shop

psxz_attribute_impact

psxz_attribute_lang

psxz_attribute_shop

psxz_category

psxz_category_group

psxz_category_lang

psxz_category_product

psxz_category_shop

psxz_customer

psxz_customer_group

psxz_customer_message

psxz_customer_message_sync_imap

psxz_customer_thread

psxz_feature

psxz_feature_lang

psxz_feature_product

psxz_feature_shop

psxz_feature_value

psxz_feature_value_lang

psxz_image

psxz_image_lang

psxz_image_shop

psxz_image_type

psxz_manufacturer

psxz_manufacturer_lang

psxz_manufacturer_shop

psxz_orders

psxz_order_carrier

psxz_order_cart_rule

psxz_order_detail

psxz_order_detail_tax

psxz_order_history

psxz_order_invoice

psxz_order_invoice_payment

psxz_order_invoice_tax

psxz_order_message

psxz_order_message_lang

psxz_order_payment

psxz_order_return

psxz_order_return_detail

psxz_order_return_state

psxz_order_return_state_lang

psxz_order_slip

psxz_order_slip_detail

psxz_order_slip_detail_tax

psxz_order_state

psxz_order_state_lang

psxz_product

psxz_product_attachment

psxz_product_attribute

psxz_product_attribute_combination

psxz_product_attribute_image

psxz_product_attribute_shop

psxz_product_carrier

psxz_product_country_tax

psxz_product_download

psxz_product_group_reduction_cache

psxz_product_lang

psxz_product_sale

psxz_product_shop

psxz_product_supplier

psxz_product_tag

psxz_stock

psxz_stock_available

psxz_stock_mvt

psxz_stock_mvt_reason

psxz_stock_mvt_reason_lang

On 12/31/2019 at 6:42 PM, DigitalCowboy said:

I cannot get to several pages (e.g. Advanced Parameters->Administration, Shop Parameters->General, etc) from the back-office menu (just takes me to Dashboard).

Also, I get Access denied messages the first time I try other menu options (e.g. Module Manager)

I've been trying for the past 3 days to upgrade and ran into the same problems, as have many others, this thread gives some hope which I tried myself and did seem to work better after deleting the ps_access table and restoring it using a fresh copy but I still had major problems with other areas of the site: 

My own thread details my attempts to upgrade over the past few days, and I too have given up and rolled back using the restore, we just can't withstand that much downtime.