Setting up background layouts

I couldn't figure out which forum section to post this in so if it's the wrong one, sorry. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get a particular design to work and was hoping I could get some help from someone. Is there a way to turn this:

before-1.jpg

Into This:

after-1.jpg

I'm just trying to make the background slightly more interesting. I want a pattern, preferably, along the first 10-20% of the left side and then last 90-100% of the right side. I seriously spent hours working on it and researching all over the internet and I'm spent. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Wow. Is it seriously that easy. I'm embarrassed. I haven't tried it yet because I'm at work, but I do have one further question then.

So to get the effect I want, I just need to have the repeating background and then set say, a white repeating image for the body background? Will I also need to do something similar to get the same body background in both side bar areas? Or is that part of the body?

yes, just edit the themes/mytheme/css/global.css (mytheme being whatever your theme directory is.) You can duplicate the prestashop themes folder and rename to mytheme for example, then in Admin>>preferences>>appearance, scroll down and choose your new theme (its that that easy) Then its no problem how you play with CSS and the templates tpl files in that themes

Ok, in your CSS, near top
body {
background-color: white;
font-size: 11px;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif;
color: #5d717e;
text-align:center;
}

Make your CSS changes to above code to make everything the background pattern

if you then go down to

/* global layout */
#page {
width: 980px;
margin: 0 auto 2px auto;
text-align:left;
}
And set its background to white, the page (containing the header, side and footer would be white) for example and outside the page (your background) would be your pattern

best to experiment and it will make sense