Upgraded from 1.1 to 1.3.7 (i think) and all my catalog images have disappeared..

Your images are still there, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them in the Featured Products on your front page.
In the Home Featured module, I see this:

In your product page.
I see this:

Check product.tpl to see if it is creating the link the same way in both places. Without being able to see your product.php
and product.tpl I cannot tell you what the actual problem is.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using HYCBlack theme (revamped etblack theme for 1.4), and just updated from 1.3.1.1 to 1.4.0.17; and now none of my product images show up in the front office, though I have uploaded them into img/p and the folder is CHMOD 777, and I can see them all in the BO. This includes the main image in the "editorial" or front page introductory text/image; I can see it in the BO but not in the front end, it just shows the torn jpg symbol. :(

The strange thing is that when I 'inspect element' in Chrome, the link to the product image shows as this:

What the heck is that?? But much more importantly (!), how do I fix it?

Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated!

EDIT: SOLVED!! In poking around in the BO, I happened upon Preferences> Performance. In the 3rd section down it is called "Media servers (used only with CCC)" and by default, it is MEDIA_SERVER_1 in the first field, 2 and 3 in the others, respectively. Upon deleting that, voilà! All of my images magickally appeared! :D