How to upgrade cusomized Prestashop manually

Hey guys,

I use Prestashop 1.6.0.6 and I want to have a new version, but there's a trouble - I'd edited core and default template files, many of them.

The best way now, in my opinion, is to upgrade manually, but for that I need to know which files were changed in every new version, so I could just replace or edit the old ones. Is there an easy way to know which files were affected in each new version? I found list of fixes here and here, but I didn't find any list of changed files...

I don't really want to compare every file in each version manually. I'll appreciate your help in this question very much!

Next question is: will it be enough just to replace/edit files to upgrade my Presta to a new version? Or there also must be done some MySQL queries to database? If so, which ones?

What else should I do?

Thank you.

P.S. I've already read and understood http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Manual+update

if you have already read and understood the manual upgrade process guide, then you really should not have any additional questions, just follow the guide.

BUT do not upgrade your live store first...  make a copy of your store, call it a test store, and perform the upgrade to the test store.  Take notes on every step you do, where you had issues, what you had to change to correct the issues.

Test the heck out of it, make sure you get updated modules that support PS v1.6, or do not install them, they will likely break the store

Take this chance to install a theme you would like to use, and any new modules you may wish to use.

Then only if you are satisfied with the results on the test store, should you proceed with the upgrade of your live store.

• Like 1

bellini13, thank you for response and good advice :)

I still would like to know if there, anywhere, is a list of changed files? Because it would be much more simpler and faster for me to change only updated files or even parts of them, so that my custom changes wouldn't be affected.

Thank you.

i suppose you can look at the source repository from the downloads page, and try to assess what has changed since your version and the latest version.

Now you don't say what version you currently have, but I'm going to guess you are dealing with over 1000 files changed, and more the older your version is.  Also depending on your version, keeping your changes likely won't work any way.  How things were done in PS v1.4 have likely changed greatly since. 

Instead, I would suggest doing this.

1) Determine what version of Prestshop you are using currently, I'm going to pretend it is PS v1.5.5 for sake of argument.

2) Download this version from Prestashop downloads page, extract it locally to your computer

3) Take a copy of your website, and extract that also locally on your computer

4) Use a file/folder comparison tool to determine what files on your production store, are different from the default v1.5.5 package

5) Document every change that is found, and then determine if you want to keep those changes or not

6) Perform the manual upgrade on your test store

7) For any change you want to keep, you then need to re-apply to your test store and test them.  Do these in a way that you do not edit core files (create a module and use hooks, create overrides if hooks do not exist).  Change core files as a last resort to avoid this issue going forward

• Like 1

bellini13, thank you again! Your answer is helpful, many good things which I'll use! Special thanks for the algorithm!

That's disappointing, though, that there's no list of changed files. I'll go a longer way then, comparing files in each version... Not too bad, as my version is 1.6.0.6 and only 20 edited core files :)

yea, i had to make a certain assumption on your version.  1.6.0.6 is only 3 minor versions old, but i bet you will still find numerous changes.  and you might still be able to use git to determine which files have changed between those 2 release tags.