Add a new root category - Prestashop 1.7.6

FerreireX

Hi,

How can I add / create a new root category?

When I try to add a new Category isn't possible to unselect the root category to create a new root.

When I create a new store (multistore section) there one part that says "This is the root category of the store that you've created. To define a new root category for your store, please click here." but when I click there go the category page without any chance to create a new root category or transform the category to be a root.

Can I have some help on this, or is not possible to create a new root category?

Edited by FerreireX (see edit history)

Hi @alexneacsu

Not yet, I remember in an older version of Prestashop to have the option to create the root category, but in 1.7 this is hidden from everyone :( I have been looking and some people recommend to change some code but I think if you update Prestashop in the future you are going to lose the changes.

6 hours ago, FerreireX said:

Who's know's how to add a new root category?

Hi,

I am new to the PrestaShop and love to try things. Please go through the below articles, I hope it will help you to add a new root category.

https://www.knowband.com/blog/tips/add-category-prestashop/

https://www.templatemonster.com/help/prestashop-1-7-x-create-category-assign-top-menu.html

Hi @steven_ 

Thanks in sharing the links but both doesn't show how to create a root category.

I think with this last Prestashop 1.7 version we can just have one root category, never seen any tutorial, video or another way to create a new root category.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I faced a similar problem. I did a work around solution. Create a fake multistore. Go to categories . You will be able to make a new root category than. Make sure you associate the roots and all sub categories for all the stores within the group. It seems counter intuitive  , but that is the only way I could get it to work. Go back to multistore tab. Add another store with the new root category. Always have the roots, and all categories associated with all the stores. Hope this helps some people out there. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/31/2019 at 1:11 PM, kibbco said:

Hello,

I faced a similar problem. I did a work around solution. Create a fake multistore. Go to categories . You will be able to make a new root category than. Make sure you associate the roots and all sub categories for all the stores within the group. It seems counter intuitive  , but that is the only way I could get it to work. Go back to multistore tab. Add another store with the new root category. Always have the roots, and all categories associated with all the stores. Hope this helps some people out there. 

Thanks! it worked! hope can fix in the future to avoid this workaround!

Edited by Andres Sommerh
typo (see edit history)