Can’t send test e-mail

I just uploaded my shop from local testing server to live server and tried to send a test e-mail (PHP mail()) from the back office but it doesn’t work, it’s just showing the spinning loading icon forever. When I enabled error reporting in config.inc.php it shows the cryptic message “Error: Please check your configuration.” below the send button. What’s that supposed to mean? Sending a test e-mail used to work on my local server, why not now?

I searched these forums but none of the posts have helped me so far. I would be grateful for help.

There's a simple way to make sure what's wrong, your hosting's email setting or your prestashop's email setting

Just create a php file, paste this code (change $to 's value with your email) and run the file

<?php
$to = "[email protected]";
$subject = "Test mail";
$message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
$from = "[email protected]";
$headers = "From:" . $from;
mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
echo "Mail Sent.";
?> 

Hey Irfan, thanks for your suggestion; although it didn’t work it put me on the right track. After following your advice I noticed that nothing seemed to have been sent. Then I found out that my host (Host Europe) required a default e-mail address to be set in their admin CP which scripts should use as sender. Additionally, I had to use that e-mail address as the shop’s contact e-mail, and now it’s working, YAY!! :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi Irfan

I tried you tips, and change the to: parameter to my private emailadress, And I received the test mail, ..

I´m not running och localhost, I´m at surftown.se, when I´m trying to send message trough BO to customers I received an error stating:

An error occured when sending email to customer.

do you know any solution fpr this? apperantly is nothing wrong with the serverside due to fact that i recieved the testmail

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...