How to enable "Please Select" text in drop-down on combinations?

amorxoigel

The question is about having a prompt appearing by default in the dropdown box for a product attribute, rather than the value of the attribute for the default combination.

On many websites you would see "--Please Select--" or something similar in the box, and you would not be able to proceed unless you make a selection from the dropdown list.

This removes the risk of the customer just placing the default combination in the cart - they would be forced to select the desired attribute(s). This avoids subsequent order queries/amendments, issuing of credit notes, etc.

I tried to change the product-variants.tpl by adding this line after the foreach

"{if $group.group_type == 'select'}
        <select
          class="form-control form-control-select"
          id="group_{$id_attribute_group}"
          data-product-attribute="{$id_attribute_group}"
          name="group[{$id_attribute_group}]"
          >

{foreach from=$group.attributes key=id_attribute item=group_attribute}
            <option value="{$id_attribute}" title="{$group_attribute.name}"{if $group_attribute.selected} selected="selected"{/if}>{$group_attribute.name}</option>
          {/foreach}

<option value="--choose--" selected="selected" title="--choose--">{l s='--Please select--'}</option>
        </select>"

Now actually when i load a product page it show the "please select" in the select form. The only problem is everytime i select any other value it refresh again and set back to "please select".
Any ideas how to solve it?

Prestashop 1.7.5.0

themes/xxx/templates/catalog/_partials/product-variants.tpl
Thank you guys!

11 hours ago, JBW said:

Put your option before the foreach and remove the selected="selected" attribute.

Hey, thanks you for ur reply.
I already tried what u suggested but it doesnt work.
If i do what u suggested when i load the product page it will show the standard combination in the label instead of "please select" 😕

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jose Lorenzini said:

add this before your foreach

<option value="">--- Select ---</option>

This will cause major issue when the customer forgets to choose one attribute and tries to add it to cart. And doesn't work for color or select boxes