Upgrade template from 1.3.x to 1.4?

Hi,

We're running a jewelry shop using Prestashop and we're about to upgrade to version 1.4. We haven't found any great themes for 1.4 but we've found one for 1.3.x.: http://cms.template-help.com/prestashop_31021/

Can this theme (or any theme for that sake) be upgraded for version 1.4? Is it something that we can do ourselves? I work with IT daily so I know my way around a bit of php and css if that's needed.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Best regards,
Lars

I'm also interested in this since there are not that many 1.4 themes available. Have found a great theme 1.3.2 compatible that I wonder how much work it would be to upgrade it, maybe very little? If I had the possibility to try it I would but I need to purchase it to do so and thats a bit risky.

/Mike

Hi

I dont know your skills but there is some work to upgrade a theme to 1.4
It is a lot of css coding as the new 1.4 has many modules etc in separated css folders/files instead of before where it was most of the code in global.css
And there is much more things to think about when upgrading a theme.(to much to be written in this tread)

I guess it depends on your skills. For me that works with it every day I would say it is easy but takes time.

Okey, have a nice day all prestapeople

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I zipped all the files in the theme folder on my hard drive using WinRAR into a .zip format and tested it in the Theme Validator at the link shown above. I have been informed by the Validator that my archive (am currently using ET Black on PS ver 1.3.1.1) is invalid - does this mean the theme is invalid? It is the only one I can find that matches the rest of my website (the ecommerce section is only a part of the whole website).

What can I do to make it valid? Is there any tutorial or anything to help out with this?

So is it possible to make changes to make them compatible or are we stuck with starting all over, i.e., either finding a different theme that IS made for 1.4 or doing all the work to modify the 1.4 default theme to something akin to what we had chosen (and modified) in ver 1.3?

Dear Sampras99,
thank you for the guide, it's awsome.
Just one thing i've noticed. From what i've seen in 1.3 Presta themes, they were using Smarty 2 there.
Now Smarty 3 is being used in Presta 1.4. Don't we need to adjust tpl files to meet smarty 3 requirements so theme would be fully compliant with Presta 1.4?