Solved; Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields.

I will only report this because I have solved a problem wich could benefit other users of PrestaShop.

I did have this problem over and over again with my database installation at step 3 when installing Prestashop.
Not knowing what caused it. Eventually I saw the problem in specific user access to the database.
In my former hosting account I never had to give access to this database for different users.
With my new hostingpartner Hostgator I had to address different users to a database and for each user i had to define which part of the database each user should have access to.
Very confusing and I don't know why I ever need this. Especcially using Prestashop.

But be warned if you ever will face this same problem.
Besides this use the complete database name and not only the extention

Example
Database server name; Localhost
Databasename; blops_prestashop instead of only prestashop
Login; blops_bert instead of bert
Password; (your password off course)

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is 2 years old, but just wanted to thank you for posting this solution. I'm a new user and am setting up Prestashop for the first time. Couldn't figure out why the database connection wasn't working until I read your post.

Thanks again.