Custom Payment module - order validated twice?

I am trying to create a custom payment module for prestashop 1.7

Everything goes well I get a reply from them once  the transaction is checked and successful.

it then redirects from payment controller to validation controller as intended to create the order from cart.

$cart = $this->context->cart;
$customer = new Customer($cart->id_customer);

if (!Validate::isLoadedObject($customer)) {
Tools::redirect('index.php?controller=order&step=1');
}

$currency = $this->context->currency;
$total = (float)$cart->getOrderTotal(true, Cart::BOTH);

$this->module->validateOrder((int)$cart->id, Configuration::get('PS_OS_PAYMENT'), $total, $this->module->displayName, null, array(), (int)$currency->id, false, $customer->secure_key);
Tools::redirect('index.php?controller=order-confirmation&id_cart='.(int)$cart->id.'&id_module='.(int)$this->module->id.'&id_order='.$this->module->currentOrder.'&key='.$customer->secure_key);

This causes an error for some reason, but the cart is converted to an order. Without this line the cart isn't converted so I have no clue why it complains like it's already done.

This is the error I get  Cart cannot be loaded or an order has already been placed using this cart

Any tips if I am missing something?

UPDATE: after a bit of digging I figured out that Validate::isLoadedObject($this->context->cart) in PaymentsModule.php is returning false.

I checked and cart_id has a value.

Edited by mrsparrow
add more info (see edit history)

Ok so the validateOrder function seems to be called twice and the second time it seems to have a cart id of 0.

No idea where the second call is coming from though, If I remove the call in validation controller then it's not called at all.

1972079792_2019-03-2012_00_06-localhost_127.0.0.1_presta17_ps_log_phpMyAdmin4.8.4.thumb.png.099cc32feb3d5eea030cc1e16d10ceca.pngvalidate

Edited by mrsparrow (see edit history)