When you start generating your images with the unique WebP Generator module, you can obtain significant improvements to the speed of your site. Images in WebP format are also recommended during a PageSpeed Insights and Google Lighthouse audit so they will help you obtain better results there and in consequence have a positive effect on the rankings of your pages.

WebP is a a modern image format developed by Google, that ensures superior lossless and lossy compression for images on the web. It uses algorithms which greatly reduce the file size while keeping the quality of the original image. Images size is reduced by 25-30% while maintaining the high quality of the original file

Generating images in the new format is more effective than the  standard image generation in PrestaShop. The page load time on your site will become faster and this process can also free up space on the server. With our module you can generate Product Images, Category Images, Supplier Images, Store Images, Manufacturer Images.

The module is now available on the Addons Marketplace for PrestaShop 1.6 and 1.7:

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/visual-products/42715-webp-image-generator.html

webp.jpg

Besides the technical part, we have also made a few usability improvements compared to the standard image generator in PrestaShop: We have implemented a progress bar where you can see generation process in percentages for each types of images separately. Next to each image type the total number images is also displayed. At the same time, we know the frustration the old image generator caused with its series of repeated time-outs so we made sure that all the images are generated without any errors and without requiring a user to monitor the process, reload the page after a time-out and re-initiate the process.

Both Google and your customers will love your images which are generated by this module. Our module will help you to obtain better rankings in Google Image Searches. This is additional to the general improvements in rankings thanks to having a fast site. Below you can see, on the left, the recommendation offered by Google Lighthouse to use WebP for images and on the right a graph showing the reduction in file size obtainable with WebP images. 

lighthouse_audit.jpg

With the recent PageSpeed Insights Update which changed the game completely when it comers to performance metrics, we believe it is vital to add this module as quickly as possible and start generating your images in a format suitable for the year 2019!

Stop generating your images with the standard image generator! It is just wasted time while you can try the new technology developed by Google and the results will amaze you.

More information as well as server requirements are found on the module's page on PrestaShop Addons:

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/visual-products/42715-webp-image-generator.html

If you have any questions or are looking for any specific information, write your reply below and we are more than happy to answer. We welcome all feedback from the community and appreciate any suggestions which will help us improve and update the module. As it is being developed continuously, new feature suggestions are very welcome.

Edited by Leo @ Prestachamps
added more details and a graph containing information relevant to the original post (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi, 

The module serves teh original image types for the specific browsers. It sends WebP only fro the supporting browsers. We constantly keep track of Market Changes, and once a new browser will accept it we'll enable the function for it. 

If you have any other questions in regards to teh moduel don't hesitate to contact us. 

Kind Regards, 

Leo

Ps: 

• WebP lossy support
    • Google Chrome (desktop) 17+
    • Google Chrome for Android version 25+
    • Microsoft Edge 18+
    • Firefox 65+
    • Opera 11.10+
    • Native web browser, Android 4.0+ (ICS)
  • WebP lossy, lossless & alpha support
    • Google Chrome (desktop) 23+
    • Google Chrome for Android version 25+
    • Microsoft Edge 18+
    • Firefox 65+
    • Opera 12.10+
    • Native web browser, Android 4.2+ (JB-MR1)
    • Pale Moon 26+
  • WebP Animation support
    • Google Chrome (desktop and Android) 32+
    • Microsoft Edge 18+
    • Firefox 65+
    • Opera 19+

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!
Problems with smarty template cache are enabled.
The module is not adapted to this. That's what happens:
the template is cached with those pictures that are supported by the browser, for example, when you first log in from Chrome, webp images will be cached. And after that, if you go with Safari, then a template with webp is issued, which are not displayed.

Hi, 

I would appreciate if you wouldn't spread ridiculous things. At least our module recognizes the browser type and reacts in accordance to it. Images for Safari will be served as original JPG or PNG. The standard Presta smarty cache is not an issue, never has been, actually we developed a new module called adaptive images which is serving different type of images based on device type,  and with cache on.  If you would use memcache or some other cache types I could imagine, but in that case, probably Webp is not your only issue, but as well GDPr popups, tracking etc. In the meantime, Safari is working already to support Webp images.  The module demo has smarty cache on. Again please make sure you check all your setups, settings as well before writing anything similar!. 

We have hundreds of sites using it properly, along with our http2 push module as well.  

Kind REgards, 

LEo

PS: the easiest thing is to just state something, but lately I see Presidents doing that as well, so I suppose just talking become a trend.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi.

I installed this module a while ago. I am using prestashop 1.7.5.2. I believe that I found a bug in this module. On my instance of presta images should regenerate after explicit product save action, but unfortunately I was not able to achieve that. After editing images on product page I need to go to 'Regenerate webp' tab and regenerate images from this site.

Thank you in advance for quick reply

Hi, 

Please accept our apologies, for not getting back to anybody earlier, but we usually answer on addons. Having several place to answer just creates confusion. Also, it turned out that we got  certain requests from people who never bought the module. In order to offer the best possible service for anybody, I urge every buyer to contact us directly eitehr at [email protected] or through addons. 

1. The module is compatible with the Prestashop cache module, and with most caching modules, as we implemented recently 2 type of functionalities: 

a. The images will use on the site the webp extension

b. The images will remain with the jpg extension on the site but with webp mime type. This option is totally fine

2. the new version of the module is turning all images into webp- including module images, cms, etc. However there is a delay when we're gathering all the images on the server. the generation process remained as fast as before. 

3. I suppose that Pawel you  use a Ps 1.6 version which doesn't has a regeneration hook added. We know about this issue (even though the module allows you now to generate the image/product) - we're searching for a proper solution, for older versions than 1.7. 

In case you encounter any other issues, the best is to contact us directly through the mail mentioned above. Please make sure you add your order ID as well. 

cheers, 

Leo