[HOW TO/GUIDE] UPDATE/UPGRADE

Since there are still alot of users that are either to afraid to explore the update process, or are just to unfamiliar with this i decided to post this [HOW TO/GUIDE] topic. I hope it can help some users on there way in the update process.

I've made numerous of updates, and i found it quite easy after i had put in some time.

1. Making sure all the files are backed up.

First it’s important you back-up/download the following:

1. Database (in case something goes wrong - phpmyadmin) < EXAMPLE >

2. Modules (so you won’t lose any modules you have added - /modules)

3. .htaccess file (used for assigning amongst others the friendly url - in main Prestashop file)

4. Images (your product images etc in - /img)

5. Themes (your custom theme in - /themes)

6. settings.inc.php (to keep the proper settings - in /config)

7. *optional: files such as /mails and /translations

I find it easiest to just to download the old version to my hard drive via FTP server, so I immediately have all the files (except the database).

2. Replacing your Prestashop
Choose one of these two options:
1. On your server, change the folder name of your old Prestashop version, and place the new Prestashop version on your server under the original name of your old Prestashop.
2. Remove the old version from the server. Install the new version on your server under the original foldername of your old Prestashop. (e.g. rootfolder or whatever folder you used)

*If you choose option 1, then you can delete the older version you renamed after the update process and after you examined the updated version and are satisfied with the result.

3. Placing your stores files back
Put your files back in the new Prestashop version. This means all the files you have backed up in step one.
Make sure you put the files back where they belong. (settings.inc.php is placed back in the /config folder etc...)
Only place back the modules you have modified or added.

4. Upgrading the store
Next, you should be safe to update via http://yourdomain.com/install. Simply choose upgrade in the first screen.

40131_z6gL1k0Yc59MggstEMpu_t

40132_ApCrm5wrgnKyefxZBsC7_t

40133_xDniQVnGyoEeRos7JFUd_t

40134_QMkt6t2LCMXbessW1Q6V_t

Troubleshooters:

Q: What should I do if my original files were in root folder and there is no folder name to change?
A: You have two options to choose from:
1: Simply choose option two from the first post. This means; remove all the old files from the server and upload the new files as described. If you have used your rootfolder, simply upload the new files to the rootfolder again.
2:In settings.inc.php you change the first line to your preference. For example in my case its set to:

define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/nl/');

(Im not sure what the first line reads when you have used the rootfolder. However, i am sure someone else will be so nice to tell me. I will further adjust this post afterwards.)

Hi Trove,

I tried to follow your guide but got this error message by the installer:
"A PrestaShop database already exists, please drop it or change its prefix."

But I want to use the old database ... What is the solution to this?

(I'm upgrading from 1.4.0.14 to -15.) /Tnx Jojje

• 2 weeks later...