Auto assigning address_alias in registration/add new address

mikelucid

Here is my delima. My client and I have been fighting with this kind of un-user-friendly function of the registration. It doesnt stem from us being frustrated but getting customer complaints, so we new we needed to change something.

I want the first address entered to be Auto named "My delivery address" and have that field be hidden on the first registration. I was successful doing this by changing the "my address" language using css display:none to hid it.

So the next part of the problem, is when a customer is logged in and needs to add another address for billing, I would love for when they click "add new address" for them to be taken to a page with either A. another hidden form field already auto assigned as "My Billing Address" or B. it doesnt have to be hidden, but is already called "My Billing Address"

I have looked into the smarty code and found this line:

<input type="text" id="alias" name="alias" value="{if isset($smarty.post.alias)}{$smarty.post.alias}{elseif $address->alias}{$address->alias|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}{elseif isset($select_address)}{else}{l s='My Delivery Address'}{/if}" />

I know this is the smarty code that tells PS to only display the field full if it has already been set, or isnt set is would output the "My delivery Address"

I want it to auto fill the address_alias on address.tpl the say "My Billing Address"

Please help, I am soooo close to having it just where I want it

Also, the site in question is www.stretchshapes.net

Thanks a bunch fellow developers!

• 1 month later...

what version are you running?

with 1.2 I hard coded everything. If they only entered 1 address, it got entered twice as "Billing Address" and "Shipping Address". If they edited either one, itd disable the old one so theres always only 2 active addresses with labels billing and shipping. During checkout, it forced those two addresses as billing and shipping. Removes the ability to maintain multiple addresses, but at the time was a better solution than presta's confusing method.

• 1 year later...

what version are you running?

with 1.2 I hard coded everything. If they only entered 1 address, it got entered twice as "Billing Address" and "Shipping Address". If they edited either one, itd disable the old one so theres always only 2 active addresses with labels billing and shipping. During checkout, it forced those two addresses as billing and shipping. Removes the ability to maintain multiple addresses, but at the time was a better solution than presta's confusing method.

hi enigma,

can you share with us how you did this? i'm struggling with the same problem as mikelucid. i'm running PS 1.4.4.1.

thank you!