Search problem

Hi everyone, I'm Robert.

First, I double-checked the forum, and googled before a lot, but I didn't found any useful information.

(Sorry for my improper English)

I have a webshop, running prestashop 1.3.6.0, selling toners and ink cartridges for for printers.

http://fractalcomputers.ro/

My search doesn't give any results when I try to search for a partial keyword, for example: "12a", only if a type the whole "q2612a" word. As you can see there is a product named "HP q2612a Compatibil."

I can't expect knowing the whole serial number from my clients, so I need to fix this.

Sincerely,
Robert.

Would it be simpler to let your customers search by the model of their printers and then find the toner/catridge they want?

You might want to look in your BO Tools >> Alias. You can define and group search results as you have mentioned above and direct them to the right product searches. You can add a new Alias "12a" to the search term "q2612a" and "12a" will return the same search results as "q2612a".

Thank you.

@Tomerg:
when I search for "q26" it gives good search results.
It fails only, when the sub-string is not the beginning of the word.

@calisyoda:
Good idea, I'm doing right this now. It is a good temporary solution.

I've found out, that the search at the BO works perfectly, right now I'm trying to "steal" the PHP/MySQL code from the BO search, and recode the FO search with it.

I advise you to install & integrate sphinx-search like I did on musicdestock.fr
It gives really reliable results even with sub strings, 5 words keywords, etc. and it is SO fast.
Sphinx-search API is the best search api ... used in information systems contaning billions of data.
And it's good for database ressources ! Coz there are too many "join" involving slow queries.

Hello Robert,

as a matter of fact, sphinx-search is not a prestashop module ... and it can't be a standalone module coz it requires an installtion of the deamon & the api on the server...

Sphinx-search can be installed on any server : http://sphinxsearch.com/about/sphinx/

Sphinx is an open source full text search server, designed from the ground up with performance, relevance (aka search quality), and integration simplicity in mind. It's written in C++ and works on Linux (RedHat, Ubuntu, etc), Windows, MacOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, and a few other systems.

I had really poor performances and bad results with prestashop search algorithme so I decided to integrate sphinx-search to prestashop on Music Destock

Now performances are just amazing. Results are relevants and it uses less database ressources ! Just to make the index.

I see. But my web hosting provider isn't allowing me to run shell commands (with those I can install sphinx).
I cannot connect remotely to the web server via telnet, or ssh, or any of these remote administrating protocols. :(
Anyway, thanks for your advise!

• 5 months later...

hi daYmo :) please, can you tell me more detailed about Sphinx and how to replace the standard prestashop search...? i have problems with Front Office search and with searchcron...i don't know if it happens 'cause i have so many products...
please provide some instructions... really thank you. Best Regards

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've successfully integrated Sphinx on two sites now and I'm thinking of building a paid for module. Would anyone be interested in this?

The only issue is that the installation process for Sphinx varies from server to server and would need root access. Does the community think this would be a problem?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

xavrileuy ...

Cannot sell a sphinx module in my point of view.

First of all... It requires installation of sphinx.

On a second hand, so as to be performant... it has to be built with requirements of the website (type of products, quality of data, etc.).

Would be a waste of time but you can do it and check ;-)