Looking to enlarge my website width ways, but how :/

hi all, im after a little bit of help.

Currently looking at my website, the main body is quite thin as i have the catagory bar to the left and another bar to the night.
But what i realise is off the website is simply white screen so is there anyway to expand the website so it covers some of the white free space?

Many thanks,

regards,

Ryan

This depends on the theme, you're using, the modules that you've enable, their position and the additional changes tha you've done. I assume you're using the default PrestaShop theme. And it's not just one change. You should change the width of the layout, the with of the center column as well as other modules related changes. That's all I can help you so far.

Navigate to your themes folder, inside the theme you are using open the css folder and open global.css

Then use the search button to find these lines;

/* global layout */
#page {
   width: 980px;
   margin: 0 auto 2px auto;
   text-align: left
}

Changing this value will affect a lot of different things on your site, but this is where you can start, backup before making changes and have a play around you might just be able to do what you need.

Thanks for the help so far, an update

Origionally i was looking to widen my website as there is white space either side which can be used elsewhere.
As i would like the main screen the be that little bit bigger.

So i changed:

/* global layout */
#page {
width: 980px;
}

Which was in Global.css to:

/* global layout */
#page {
width: 1280px;
}

So now the website has done as i asked as shown in the screen shot below:

31379321.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Although now there are other problems so how can i correct the problems specified.

1-- The main block bar along the top with the words home, special is now not long enough, how would i extend this.

2-- The banner i guess id simply make that little bit larger.

3-- How would i extend the text so that it will write all the way along?

thankk you for your time in looking for that :)

much appreciated :)

So although i have no idea what that haha, ill give what you said a go :/ :P
Im using Google Chrome atm, do i have to use ie?

So when you go to the page and click source, it will give you keywords you then search on css global and change?

thanks

In google chrome simply right click on the page and click view source. And yes basically your looking for the names of the classes which are inside the id="" parameters. They don't have to be divs but searching there will get you started on finding what you are looking for. In my experience learning where to look is a much better fix than a simple copy and paste code, this way you will be better able to solve problems without help in future, and if you are new to e-commerce sites then believe me there will be plenty of problems to solve ;)

No idea of the release date, it's on beta version 5 now though so I would say it's less than a month away for sure. Basically when you upgrade you just have to do all your modifications again, it's easier than when you first did it because you already have the code you modified but it's certainly a pain to have to do it all again.