Custom shipping cost

I'm a programmer and I'm developing a shop for a client. I do almost everything by coding myself, both frontend (html-css-js) and backend (php, addons, modules, etc). The shop is almost finished but now I need to change the shipping costs. This company does something peculiar: the shipping cost depends on the amount of boxes, not the weigth or the units. This means that, as far as everything you buy fits in a single box, the shipping cost is the same. When you need two boxes, the shipping cost is x2. That simple.

I haven't found any module doing that, anyway I would prefer developing it myself and not buying it. But I can't find any information about this. However, there are shipping cost modules, so I guess it's possible. Any idea?

UPDATE--

To know how many boxes every product needs, I have a custom feature called "boxes". That is the number of boxes for that product. This value is already manually set for each product. I need to use that in php to calculate the shipping cost.

Edited by oscar363 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, oscar363 said:

I'm a programmer and I'm developing a shop for a client. I do almost everything by coding myself, both frontend (html-css-js) and backend (php, addons, modules, etc). The shop is almost finished but now I need to change the shipping costs. This company does something peculiar: the shipping cost depends on the amount of boxes, not the weigth or the units. This means that, as far as everything you buy fits in a single box, the shipping cost is the same. When you need two boxes, the shipping cost is x2. That simple.

I haven't found any module doing that, anyway I would prefer developing it myself and not buying it. But I can't find any information about this. However, there are shipping cost modules, so I guess it's possible. Any idea?

And how do you know how many boxes you need?

42 minutes ago, joseantgv said:

And how do you know how many boxes you need?

I have a custom feature for every product called "boxes", which is the number set manually. That is already done. Now I need to use that value in php to calculate the shipping cost.