Newbie needs some help with configuring shop....

a-x

Dear folks,
long time I was looking for a good solution to set-up a simple webshop but I did not like to pay 1000euros to someone.. I think by Prestashop I have found exactly what I needed. Great! I am just trying to see how everything works, I am new to ecommerce, do not have any experience. I have sucessfully installed shop on my webspace, all is ok, just have few questions:

- How to make or set that customer will receive emails after he order the stuff or after the status of order is changed?
I would like to set it up that cusomers receives everything by email without need to go to shop website and log in to see all that. Now by default this is not set, I have tried to order something, but did not receive any email about order confirmation, payment info for wire transfer etc....
- Off course I would like to buy better template than standard. Can I set up everything at my shop and afterwards install new template without affecting all my settings and items in catalogue? These templates by prestashop, are they customizable? I want my shop to look simple, do not need any windows with bestsellers, newsletters etc........ Just want to have categories at the top and cart on the right.

Sorry for maybe stupid questions, I am totaly new to these things. Any help would be very appreciated.